Search This Blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

"We're gonna do what they say can't be done"

(sung to the tune of "we're gonna do what they say can't be done" from Smokey and the Bandit)
Prophetic words. 
When we first started this little (emphasis on little) enterprise we were barely a blip on the radar (now we're more like that slightly larger blip that the glowing green arm swooshes over in the cheesy sci-fi/action movies, and the one-line extra (probably the producers brother or something) says something like "I don't know...what it is general.") but inevitably as you become more noticed some people (less then.000001%) feel that they are obligated to impart upon you the wisdom of their YEARS of vast experience in the field of...everything (denote the well concealed sarcasm) So, we have been told that "theirs no money in what you're doing" and "you can't re-pair, or re-furbish a bike without new parts" or (more re-cently) "I love little shops like this, but they never last!"
Gives one pause for thought.  At least in the beginning. See I have been known to take criticism very personally. Oh not in the "How DARE you insult me!" way but in the "Maybe they Know more then me, because they've been doing this or that more then me" But then I've also been known  not to listen to other people, nor heed their advice (not always a good thing, re-fering to the time I was 6 and was convinced that a bed sheet was suitable parachute material for a three story skydive, surprising how resilient a 6 year old's bones can be) So even in the face of moderate success (thank you ALL for your tremendous help in that matter) I've doubted myself and ourselves (unfortunately) rather frequently.
But you know A couple of days ago I had what I think is called an epiphany shortly after the "they never last" thing.
 I've met several people, and have been in many bike shops and had the opportunity to see how they do things and personality aside (can't be snooty and aloof with your clientele) I think I discovered their failings.  One that I myself have skated the razors edge of a few to many times, and that's greed.
Now to me greed is not solely that of monetary lust, but also of seeing oneself in an aura of adoration.  Some think themselves above those they service, they are "superior" for their knowledge, therefore irreplaceable.
Unh, Unh.  One thing my daddy taught me was humility.  There's ALWAYS someone who can do it better, faster and cheaper waiting in the wings.
Obviously those words resounded in the back of my head when this whole thing began. 
As far as the monetary aspect?  Look I understand the concept of supply and demand and how it applies, but in our line of work, we KNOW (aside from my charm and devastatingly good looks) we have gotten busy BECAUSE we sell good, re-liable bikes CHEAP!  And I'm sure we're not a historical anomaly, I know others surely must have started the same way but then they got busy got greedy and slowly prices went up, and (due to the increased demand) quality went down.  And that, young Skywalker is why you fail. We had a little of that ourselves last week, unfortunately.  Not so much the greed but the lack of quality, shamed to say.  We had a big push, and needed to get stock out to meet the demand.  Well, no excuses WE GOT SLOPPY!  and paid the price, several of the bikes came back on warranty work.  Small stuff, but things that should NOT have been missed, re-gardless!  So, live and learn!  We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience this oversight may have caused any of our folks, and rest assured we have remedied the problem.  Now all bikes are QC'd by both mechanics and the boss (Anglea) and believe me she is a unyielding task master!  We offer the 1 year warranty as a convience to our customers, as we know re-furbished parts may fail, and rather then be stuck with a piece of metal that "won't go", we want to keep you happy and on the road (hate that bad feeling when you feel like you got screwed with a purchase) .  Not that we never want to see you again, but I'd rather it be to come by and shoot the @#$&, not to have warranty work done!
Well with that in mind, I have to toddle off as re-pair work has already started to pile up this morning (thankfully NOT warranty work).
Perhaps that ship has sailed...permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment