Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Winds of Change or Breaking Winds

Ahh, what a beautiful morning.  The normal stifling humidity I am normally accosted by when entering the lanai for coffee, was blissfully absent this morning.  Instead I was greeted by a soothing south western breeze, wafting along for the ride was the heady scent of Autumn.  How peaceful.  The children already gone for school, Angela who had gone in to open this morning and Izy fed,  contently snoozing left me with time to pause, enjoy my morning solitude.  I watch as a tiny woodpecker sought its breakfast in the small tree near the waters, and watched the ballet of butterfly's fluttering in the morning sun.
The fall brings with it many changes, more so at times then that of spring. As the children return to school so to do the friendly little bacteria and viruses.  One such virus seems to have hitched a ride home with one of the kids and upon arrival decided to take up residence in my throat and sinuses.  Hence why I did not come in first thing, and moreover why I will be departing shortly.  I tried.  Have lots to do but if I don't beat this thing I ain't gonna be worth Skat.
Well yesterday was an interesting one.  Got in some sweet goodies, the one stand out is a GT Vantura, 1997 this one was taken very good care of.  Sold the Panasonic, and put out a nice Schwinn Mirada, after a spell of starts and stops.
File this under,"now I don't feel so bad about my luck" the couple who two days ago bought the Trek 800 and three wheeler, upon arriving home while pulling into their driveway had the misfortune of the 3-wheeler falling off the back of the trucj and of course fell full force on the rear wheel bending the bajebuzz's out of it.  To top it off when they went to put air in the Trek's tires, somehow damaged both valve stems.  Needless to say we re-placed the tubes, no charge for the inconvenience, under the recommendation they not use the same air pump to fill up in the future.  Tried to true the rear wheel the best we could but to no real avail.  Have to order a new rear wheel, and it being a Schwinn, have to order Schwinn-specific. OY VEY!
Pleasant side note, after an 18 year absence I inherited, yesterday, a pool table!  Always wanted my own, and thank you very much to Terry, our scrap guy for bringing it to me!  Now I can teach the kids to hustle pool.  Maybe I've found a new Vocation.  My own little "Color of Money!"
On to a more somber note:  As with all things of change, we at RE-Cycle bid a fond Farewell to our erstwhile pseudo-partner, Ray.  Ray has been with us for over a year now.  Joining us a little over six months into our beginning Ray came to us a seasoned automotive/small engine mechanic.  Introducing us to the joys of motorized bicycles.  He quickly became another member of the group, and in extension of the family, becoming "Uncle Ray".  He was with us when we moved to our new digs, and dedicated many long hours helping to prepare our new space.  He spent many a late night helping keep us on track, and to servicing our friends.  But like so many other collaborations (think Lennon and McCartney) opinions of the businesses directions began to differ.  We at RE-Cycle have a clear vision of how we wish to proceed now and into the future.  And the future we have determined does not include a change to more and more newer parts.  A small point, for sure but one we hold true.  With the addition of new parts, although potentially making re-pairs and re-builds faster and easier, it passes more of a cost burden on to the customer.  I would rather take an hour cleaning and derustifying an old chain that still holds life then charge $9.00 to a customer to shave of a half an hour of work...and so on.  Don't get me wrong some new parts ARE needed (IE: tubes, brake shoes, cables, tires) for safety sake you can't scrimp.  And yes if we started slapping new parts on we could put product out faster but at what cost?  We just don't feel the extra charges are justified.  That coupled with other issues has left us with the unfortunate realization that we must part ways.  Oh the split has been an amicable one, but nonetheless a twinge of regret follows close behind.  Ray, we wish you the best of luck in all future endeavors.
Well I will end this entry (as I need to go nappy's) with a big "SHOUT OUT" to our newest friends in Germany (my wife's ancestral home!)
Hey OH!

No comments:

Post a Comment