Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

ti-RANT-ical!!!

Here I go again...
CAUTION!!!  DO NOT!  I repeat, DO NOT!!  attempt to deal with any branch of the Governmental Bureaucratic BOZO"S if you are trying to quit smoking!!
Here's my tender tale of terribly tumultuous trials and tribulations!  A year ago, whilst doing our taxes I stupidly left my day minder, containg ALL my personal identification in the tax office.  20 minutes later upon realizing I did so, I returned to the office to retrieve it.  Nope, not there.
Great.
So I figure go get the social, go get the ID.
Easy.
YEA RIGHT!
Apparently in January of last year the Federal Government passed new, more stringent laws re-garding proof of identity.  Now you need a picture ID to get your Social Security card, BUT you need a Social Security to get a picture ID?
Hey, in the dictionary under "Catch 22"....
SO, I have sporadically over the last year been attempting to re-gain my identity, only to be thwarted at each turn.  Well, Once tax time was coming around again I reasserted my efforts with vigor, and had FINALLY gotten through, to an ACTUAL REAL LIVE PERSON at the local SS office (notice how the acronym for social security is...SS...remind you of another (in)famous "SS"?) who instructed me to gather up ALL the information I had that identified me as me and bring it to the office.
SO, today was that day, with my FULL bag in hand and Izy in tow I shelled out the $14 dollar r cab ride to the social security office, stranded in line OUTSIDE for 45 minutes until they opened, went in got my number, sat and waited another 30 minutes, was called up, opened up my abundant information and.....STOP! 
"do you have....?"
"NO"
"Do you have....?"
"NO."
"I'm sorry I can't help you"
I then proceeded to try and explain that I had spoken to "BLANK" and was informed..."
But no. This bland, arrogant, self righteous uptight Neophyte had NO desire to give me the time of the day much less waste one more second of her valuable time!  I attempted to retrieve SOME semblance of information from her in regards to where or what or how I could get something that proved my identity, but at that point she was already shuffling around looking for the paperwork regarding her next victim, and was eagerly awaiting my departure.  Well needless to say I DO NOT take to well to being dismissed, a character flaw to be sure, however one that elicit a somewhat DIRECT response.  I believe I said something regarding the cost of the wasted trip, as well as some colorful choices of words from the seedier side of the English Language muttered under my breath when the Rent-A-Gestapo appeared at my side and in CHOPPY English asked me if their was a problem.
Ever ACTUALLY opened a can of worms?
Well I did in fact keep my mouth shut, because if age has taught me anything, it has proven to pick your battles.  And "you can't fight stupid, with stupid"
Well, upon re-turning to the shop I made MORE calls and was given the suggestion to get a copy of a medical form and that was proof enough.
Funny.  Anyone can walk into a Medical Records and re-quest a copy of medical re-ports, that coupled with a utility bill apparently is proof enough to get a SS card, then take that and get your ID?  Doesn't sound all that secure to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment