Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hail, ail the gangs all here (almost)

Well today proved to be another busy one.
On the family front as well as work.
My Mom is coming for a visit in two days.  My Dad and Step Mother are already here in Florida and my sister comes down in a little over a week.  Haven't seen my mom in about 8 years and my sister in 6 years.  Needless to say my mother has never met either of her granddaughters so I know she's looking forward to that.  My dad and step mom hung out at the shop a little while after the kids came here from school.  "How did you fit them all in there?" you may ask.  Tweren't easy.  Kinda cool have'n grand dad here to put the kids in place.  I barely had to do anything.  And you should have seen the look on the kids face as if "Why is that older version of dad telling me no?"
  HEH HEH!
It's what our kids have been missing.  I am a firm believer in the benefit of an older generation having sway and influence on today's kids.  These people KNOW propriety, and proper behavior, something the last couple generations seem to have forgotten.  And we have become so, I don't know....wimpy when it comes to setting our children straight, that they pretty much rule the roost.  And manners and decent behavior?  HA!  I am a real hard ass with my kids about certain things, and respect and appreciation and humility are way up there on the list.  But the kids they go to school with, and hang out with?  Well that can be a real hard influence to break.  When 90% of the kids today would rather say @$#! you, rather then thank you?  Makes it hard for an old fart like me.
Case in point.  I was working a little late trying to get a Haro frame in paint for a young man who has been DYING to buy it (and this young man is a good example of a well mannered child) so I had the shop locked up after hours to work unperturbed when there was a knock on our window.  poking my head around the Dungeon door a saw two small kids maybe 8 or 9, a brother and a sister holding a little BMX bike.  I answered the door and they asked if I could help them fix there rear wheel.  Seems they had a little accident in the parking lot.  Her long sweater got caught in the coaster sprocket and chain and in trying to get it out they broke the rear locking ring.  Well I removed the rear wheel, and not only was the sprocket broke but the wheel looked like a taco!  Well I couldn't let these two kids try and ride this thing home, so I told them to hold on grabbed another coaster brake rear and put it on.  Then they left without so much as a thank you.  Forgive me if that sounds petty, i don't do things to help in hopes of a reward, but a simple thank you?  It's just a scary realization that seems to be more the norm nowadays.  I hope someday there will be a revival of good old morality, perhaps if they taught that in school...instead of dwell on the FCAT.
All right I have stepped down from my soapbox and have firmly placed my feet in reality.
On the work front...
Zombie-Boy has FINISHED the Univega!!! And Boy Howdy was it worth the wait!  This thing is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!  and without pause he went right on to the ladies version.  Matt unfortunately had to go home sick this morning and I hope he feels better, and gets his but back in here!  Mephisto awaits. (I ain't touching it!  I'd turn it into slag!)  I took care of a few more re-pairs that came in today (again thank you for your trust!)  then got started on the full re-paint, re-furb of the aforementioned Haro.  Another SWEET lookin' little BMX!  And OH the goodies I brought in today!  A Trek 3900 MTB!  LOTS of work needed on this one, but she'll be sweet when she's done!   A K2 Mach 1.0 road bike (We needed more road bikes!) and a couple more bangers!  So we have a busy week (as always) be lookin' for them gems!
Well, I haven't had a shower or dinner yet, so I need to hustle!  Y'all have a good night!

FULLY RE-FURBED VINTAGE UNIVEGA METRO 5
ONLY $170.00!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I like what you guys are doing. Do you guys do repair/refurbish requests?

    -P

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE SURE DO!!! That's what we're here for! ust tell us what you want to do and we'll make it happen! (with all do respects to physics, gravity and other fixed laws of nature)

    ReplyDelete