Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Rant and them some Raves!

I'll get the negative out of the way first, then end on a eye-opening expose into my inner being (NO wait, where are you going it'll be fun!)
OK, in short( if your listening)  to the heartless, soulless, uncaring, careless, mindless, piece of human trash that HIT my son on his bike last night without so much as slowing down....I will not screw up my Karma points by condemning you to the lowest ring of Dante's inferno, but instead just state that fate keeps score.  What you do in this life will carry into the next "Other" and all will come back to you in the end.
Elijah is fine.  Scraped and bruised, but nothing broken.  Truth be told I have ridden with my boys many times and this occurred at the intersection near the shop, and he's not the best at making sure he looks both ways before going with the signal.  I am forever having to tell him that it is a safe bet that the folks driving (no offense) are morons, and assume they are not paying attention!  Did I call the police? No, why bother!  the last time it happened and I called them the EMS guys seemed disappointed that he wasn't seriously injured and the police just seemed annoyed that I bothered their coffee break.  The investigating officer ACTUALLY asked my wife and I  "So...what do you want us to do about it?" NOT kidding!
All right enough of that!
I awoke this morning feeling whimsical (a by product of consciously forcing out the bad) Kaleb had been looking at some old issues of "Time" last night and I caught glimpse of an end of 1999 issue featuring the "best of" and it got me to thinking what better subject then "Top" picks for...something at the end of any year.  A retrospective if you will.  What then?  With me I guess the first big insight to me is in relations to movies!  What better way to get familiar with a person then to see the kind of recreation they enjoy.  Mines movies (and to a lesser extant TV) BUT I will start (what may become a "best of" sideshow on this blog)
Dum dum DAHHH!
My top 15 all time FAVORITE Movie Scenes

Honorable mention "Airplane"

This film holds some of the BEST one-liners and really set the stage for the "stupid" movie concept!

#15 "Animal House"
What can happen when the downtrodden get even!

#14 "The Blues Brothers"
Has to have been the Finest collection of Car chases and one-liners, inter-mixed with a PLETHORA of CLASSIC music ever!

#13 "Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home"
You Knew this would HAVE to be on the list!  Why so low?  It is a heart moving moment for a Trekkie but I never did where plastic ears.  But a strong moment none the less!

#12 "Star Wars"
This one represents a defining moment in my young childhood!  It marked the moment I became a TRUE Fan boy!. I re-member my friend Joey telling me about it before it came out when I was 9.  We played "Star Wars" even before  I knew what was in it.  I can re-call standing in line at the Ioka theatre with my folks and sister. The line stretching around the block.  We were the last to get in before it sold out then for the first time I sat still , transfixed and saw how real the universe was!

#11 "the Iron Giant"
This shows you Just how much animation can transcend films limitations, and TRULY entertain.  Even after seeing it SO many times I still get goosebumps at the end!

#10 "Monty Python the Holy Grail
What more can be said!?  Any Monty Python Movie from beginning to end is one long Laugh Riot.  This was my Twenty's!  Living in a bachelor pad in Exeter NH, with anywhere from 6-11 people, sitting With Pat, carrying on entire conversations comprised of Monty Python and Mel Brooks!

#9 Young Frankenstein
Again...ANYTHING Mel Brooks HILARIOUS start to finish, and on any given day with out fail I will quote him at least once!

#8 The X-men
Working in the comic book industry for 12 years I had heard for ALONG time rumors of an X-men Movie (and that was in the 80's) so when I heard they were FINALLY going to make it, my only reservation was "could they get Wolverine right"  They DID NOT disappoint!  Hugh Jackman's stance and moves were right out of Frank Millers quill!

#7 Three Amigos
One night my buddies Nathan, Clint and I in our senior year inseparable, happened upon this movie playing at the Ioka, nothing else to do we decided to give it a look.  Turns out we were the ONLY ones there.  OMG it was another FANTASTIC example of the "stupid/funny" genre!

#6 My Best friends Wedding

The Best Musical moment from any movie!
#5 Homeward Bound


This one chokes me up EVERY time I see it!

#4 Notting Hill

I'm a sucker for a good romantic comedy

#3 "Sixth Sense"

I Love films that "get me" and through some very creative directing and editing this film definitely kept m guessing until the red door knob!

#2 "The Majestic"
This is definitely one of the most moving speeches in celluloid History, and proof POSITIVE that Jim Carey can act!

And My number 1 pick for best scene, is not the actual scene from the movie I think is best.  However this movie was not a major box office smash hit so many of you may not have seen it...yet, and if I showed you the "best" scene it would ruin the impact of the movie.  This movie may in fact make it in to the top 5 "Favorite Movies" of all times.  It is an emotional impact akin to that of being struck by a runaway Mack truck! Originally I sat down to watch it with my lovely wife as it starred Rob Pattison (Edward Cullen of "Twilight" fame) and I thought it was going to be just another "art house" film.  I was wrong.  This is an incredible movie on SO many levels from story to direction to acting, and Set's you out in a story direction that you "think" is familiar, but the ending is the LAST thing you see coming.  Hence why you don't see the "best" scene.  Rent it.

#1 Remember Me!

2 comments:

  1. I've been working on a "100 Movies" list for a while now, and I know I've done a couple of "Ten Things Tuesdays" with movie quotes, but I've never done a compilation of my favorite scenes. I may have to think about that for a bit - maybe I'll post it as next week's Ten Things Tuesday (though I bet I'll frustrate the hell out of myself because I won't be able to find YouTubes of my favorite scenes, so I may have to resort to describing them. Not that that's any great tragedy - I AM an English teacher, after all, and I've always been wordy...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. trust me it aint easy to narrow down (and I couldn't find 2 scenes myself) But I look forward to seeing them!

    ReplyDelete