Search This Blog

Thursday, December 2, 2010

OK...Who turned out the pilot light?

I have definitely become a wimp.  If I were still living up North this would be t-shirt weather!  But Here I am at the shop with two hoodies and a down vest,the thermostat reads 67 and I'm FREEZING!  Perhaps my blood has thinned.  Yea that's right give it a medical explanation to make me seem like less of a wussy!
The upside is its a good excuse to have a fire in the fire pit!  But if anyone knows who around here can hook me up with a cord of firewood I'd greatly appreciate it, cause 6 bucks for an itty, bitty bundle of wood is a little insane!
On the topic of insanity at the grocery store (like how I worked that seguea?) Last night I'm at the local market getting dinner, paid for my "bubble and squeak" (ask me some other time) and as I'm leaving I notice on a display table at the front of the store the traditional, holiday year-end "help feed the needy at the holidays" (as if the underprivileged only get hungry around thanksgiving),  Don't get me wrong (and send me nasty notes) it's a worthy cause, but this year there's a twist.  All the years before what was displayed were brown paper bags, with a little placard stapled to it with the donation amount.  BUT, this year they have high-gloss, 4-color cardboard boxes blazoned with photos of various folks holding out there hands and the Logo of the local news station that is "sponsoring" the effort. It got me thinking (hey it happens now and then) that first:  I've always thought that charity should be anonymous.  You do it because it's the right thing, not to get recognition. Second, it reeks of using other peoples misfortune as advertising for your benevolent efforts to help, therefore making you the saviour.  Not some money hungry multinational media conglomerate (ohhh...did that sound cynical?) and Third: Just how much did those boxes cost?  I mean did the media giant PAY for the boxes or does some of the $10...$20 whatever donations absorb the cost?  Personally I think you should go back to the brown paper bags and take the scratch you would have spent on the boxes and I don't know, help pay for some poor families to heat their homes, or buy warm jackets, or a blanket or maybe a safe house for the homeless so thy don't die of exposer...but hey sorry I got practical there for a second...sorry.
OK, on to less controversial topics.  Last night Angie and Audrey made there weekly trip to the video store for the Movie picks for the weeks (re-member, we don't "DO" cable) and thankfully they didn't get any "artsy" films this time!  Momma, bless her heart got me a real cool pick that we ended up watching last night and before you say "What? is that all you do build bikes and watch movies? I'd have to say...pretty much.  Can't afford much more entertainment then that.  Could you see us bringing all the kids to a movie theatre? Not only would it cost the GPN of Latveria, but Owen alone would get us black listed from every "Movie-Plex in the tri-state area (what is a "tri-state area anyway?)
But I digress..
The film choice was "DC Showcase, Shorts" Headlining "Superman/Shazam. the Return of Black Adam" and, Wow!  This was what animation was made for.  Any of you who like "Ani-Matrix" or any of the higher quality animated films would get a real kick outta this. 4 shorts featuring the aforementioned, and the Spectre, Green-Arrow, and Jonah Hex (plus in the special feature there earlier animated appearances in various forms).  But these 4 vinuets are done in different styles and presentation (the Spectre done in mid 70's TV cop shows/crime noir was really neat) and the headliner really shows why my pick for "the big blue boyscout" goes to Shazam NOT superman.  Check it and others out from "Warner Premier" they are really putting out some cool stuff!
On the Store front, as the colder weather has hit I have the sneaking suspicion we will have plenty of opportunity to get some bikes done, un-interupted.  We just picked up a REAL SWEET 2004 Specialized Hard Rock, needs drive train work but other then that it's real SWEET!
Matt and Zombie-boy are double teaming (no, no not that) and trying to get three specials done, And my goal is three for the showroom before I get outta here!  So with that I'll let you all get back o whatever you were doing.
Thanks for listening

No comments:

Post a Comment