Search This Blog

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Nature Gave Us The Bird!

WOW!  The old homestead was teaming with life today, I'll tell you!  Little Miss had another kitten!  And boy oh boy is this one a BIG one!  Yes I know, color me irresponsible for not having her fixed, and I guess I anthropomorphising but the whole concept of taking away a creature right to bare offspring...not really me.  Besides, we feed them well and they all know they're loved  (hence all the cat hair in my lap from time to time) and we keep them safe (from Owen) so it's OK!
And the birds are back!  The water behind the house has once again regained it's winter inhabitants!  Two families of ducks (one of them the Pompadour's they're so awesome to watch play) several cranes, the fishers (notice I have NO clue of any of their real species names) and this one funky powder slate blue/gray bird with neon yellow legs, very surreal (but it gave me a cool color concept for a custom bike).  On top of that we are STILL seeing the otters, they're usually gone by now.  So all this morning I pretty much hung out on the lanai watching it all!
Angela opened up this morning, I'd been doing the day shift this week at the shop, but she noticed how much I'd been moping because I HATE to leave a project undone, and having to leave at 4 pm each day, pretty much assured that reality!  SO she allowed me to do the afternoon so I could work late and get some stuff completed!  Thank you my love, I do so appreciate your sacrifice, and I'll try not to be such a gloomy-Gus!  And Finish some projects we did!  Got the yellow specialized DONE (thank You Zombie-boy for checking my work, and catching the painfully simple problem I missed!) and put out two more bangers!  Haven't had enough of those lately, getting a little to many higher end stuff.  Zombie boy put out three his self while he waited for paint to dry on the specials, and Matt was handling the re-pairs, as well as continuing work on his paint project, a real fine Mongoose Hybrid, hopefully done tomorrow.  I've got the fold up Dahon in paint and am cleaning parts, I would like to wrap that one up tomorrow.
I do have another story I'd like to relate to you, but at first I was hesitant. Why? Well I have heard from a few of you that in  the past while talking about occurrences at those "other" shops in town, the validity of my claims was put in to question.  In a perfect world I might have been blowing sunshine up your skirt, but sad to say the stories are real.   Any of you who have read some of my diatribes can attest to the fact that my heroes tend to BE Heroes.  Superheros.  I have an affinity towards the powerful helping the powerless.  And even though I have no intention of donning a cape (NO capes!) or spandex, I do feel it just to point out when someone has been wronged, and this instance is WAY wrong!
A gentleman came to see me today with the intention of trading his bike(s) towards one of ours.  Not a problem, we do that all the time.  At first I inspected his trade as we talked. Come to find out he had bought a bike from us a few months back, a Mountain bike, but felt it wasn't "fast" enough for him.  No doubt there a MTB is not known for its speed on roads per say.  He had paid $60.00 for it, but had traded that one in at another bike shop a ways from here. I think he said it was in Largo. Anyway.  The bike I was now inspecting was the bike he traded for.  Oh folks..If you could have seen this...thing.  I'd be kind saying it was a scrap bike.  Granted it was a lighter bike then the one he bought here...but, dry rotted tires, rusted cables, a bent front derailleur, a dry chain with WAY to much play in it, a broken shifter, a bent rear wheel and missing a brake shoe.  Not to mention that it was a 15 year old Murray.  Not that I have anything against Murray's, but they need to be serviced!  This was not. He had bought it the week before and in cash and trade, paid $80.00 for it.  Imagine how bad I felt when I had to tell him that I could only buy it for scrap, and the only thing of any real value was the seat! It's now wonder that some folks visiting us for the first time are a little hesitant about buying a "used" bike, if this kind of thing is the norm! 
Whats my point?  I'm really not sure, I just don't cotton to folks being taken advantage of when they are in need!  The guy was only looking to get faster transportation to get to and from work, and was sold a bill of goods...that were no good!
Well we have plenty of new goodies out now, and will be back at it again tomorrow, so hope to see you all then!
ONLY $80.00!!


SOLD

sold

No comments:

Post a Comment