Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sad Tidings.

The event I have long since dreaded has occurred.  As I have aged, so too have the idols of my youth.  From Sean Connery, to cast and crew of Star Treks passed, they have shown the passage of time.  But the ones who have always remained youthful in my mind conjuring treasured memories from my times in New Hampshire as a child, my sister and I lip syncing their lyrics in an impromptu sock puppet show for our parents, collecting every snippet and scrap of memorabilia I could garnish.  Visiting the libraries micro fiche room coping old news articles and photos, or the occasional album my mother would find me in her travels to Woolworths.  I was not a child so much of the 60's, but I caught their act for years of re-runs.  I am talking of course about the Monkee's.  Yes, the arch typical "manufactured Boy band" that started it all.  Apart from the simplicity of their more bubble gum tunes, their was a frivolity and care free nature that was of great appeal to me through my youth and well into young adulthood.  Further rekindled with their anniversary tour in the 80's which I began somewhat like their "Deadhead" following them from show to show, as best I could.  I had the pleasure of meeting them all save Micheal Nesmith.
Tonight my sister informed me of the sad passing of "The Cute One" David Jones.
My heart goes out to his surviving family, and to the other members of the quartet, Peter, Mike and Micky.
I leave you with this...

No comments:

Post a Comment