Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The debate...

Had an interesting conversation last night , although somewhat standard around here.  What was weird was started to have the same talk this morning with another customer first thing today when he purchased the Huffy Hybrid we put out last night.  The good news is, the gentlemen this morning is another "CONVERT!!!!"  YAY!!! but like yesterday, he was to be a "Temporary" convert.  He owns a car but is planning to utilize the bike until "gas prices come back down."  Wow.  Define for me please what is an acceptable Dollar per gallon price to pay to pollute the atmosphere versus saving money, preserving the air we breath....etc (I can go on...YOU KNOW I CAN!) I mean are there still people who think that these gas prices are a TEMPORARY problem?  It is true when they say "only Americans are blind to history".  Look for what it's worth (here's where I get preachy, so brace yourself) A few years back (just prior to my family and I getting off the oil teet) gas went over $2.00 a gallon then it steadily went up (I do recall it peaking over $4.00 a gallon REAL quick) sighting the middle east conflict, etc.  Then supposedly an agreement was reached with the Saudis to release some mysterious MASSIVE stockpile and gas prices dropped and everyone rejoiced (yay).  But here's where it went screwy.  Prices didn't settle at below $2.00 but in the mid $2.50 (an increse of 25%)  But still we started riding our Hummers again!  And each time there's a huge spike it settles at slightly above the previous average.  Now you may be saying to yourself "DUH!" and forgive me if I sound conspirators but did you ever think that the oil industry has learned from decades of utilizing global unrest and unprecedented demand to increase their profits exponentially!  and the sad part is WE KEEP BUYING INTO IT!  There are alternatives folks, and if you follow the current trend of the manufacturing industry, auto makers etc. who are amazingly producing all these wonderful new toys that DON"T relay on oil for motor-vation, you will see that.  But for a moment think about it  Tesla himself had predicted and invented some of this technology in the 20's and 30's and PATENTED the inventions, but it never saw production.  Now it is?  Hmmmmmmmm.
All I ask is, think, plan and execute.  If you live within 10 miles of where you work, or play it will take you, on average, 40 minutes to get there on a bike, in a car on average 24 minutes.  BUT in a car it costs you $1.70 per trip (that's just for the gas) that's $17.00 a week (if you work the average of 5 days a week)   Doesn't seem like much? That's $884.00 a year folks.  I don't know about you, but to me that's a good chunk ah change!
Food for thought, Just playing Jimmeny Crickets role!
Allright, I've climbed down off of my soapbox!  Now on to work, Have a SWEET Haro F1 Coming out shortly and fixin' to start on a Mens Cruiser re-paint then on to specials!  SO be looking for more goodies for the week!

1 comment:

  1. What you need, my friend, is a secret weapon when dealing with Cornucopians ("Cornos", as we like to call them.) I will make sure you get said weapon post haste. Like tomorrow. In the meantime, check it out:

    www.peakofthedevil.com

    ReplyDelete