Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

Detente

First, sorry to any and all whom may have came by the shop last night after 6 pm.  Had another concert at the school (this one for Logan, Who did a GREAT job by the way!) then we went out for ice cream.  THOUGHT we had the shop covered but everyone else bailed early as well.  Go figure!
But I didn't even have time to blog, so here goes, first and foremost, thanks to all the great folks coming by yesterday.  Nice day, brings out nice people!  the Next Plush left with a wonderful Momma, who performed the whole transaction, including making room in her car for the bike, while balancing a very well behaved baby on her hip!
The Raleigh pseudo-Banger left about 15 minutes after hitting the floor to one of our regulars!  Thanks' Mate!  New that one wouldn't last/  Zombie-Boy is almost done with two paint projects, the Old JC-Penny bike we got in on trade last week, that we promised the gentleman who traded it in we would give it a new life, and MAN...did he ever!  Check later today to see this beauty!  AND on top of it, he has the SWEET GT MTB almost in shape.  He was waiting on the rear derailleur (which came in this morning)  I expect it to be out soon (provided his butt ain't still passed out on his couch!!!  WAKE UP!)  And Jose' was burning through goodies yesterday, pounding out re-pairs and keeping us moving ahead.  As well as putting out a SWEET ladies Hybrid, another "Daily Banger", and an AWESOME little BMX'er!  Hopefully, He too will be in soon as we have MUCHO EL STUFFO to put together!  And me, well an odd anomaly occurred in the shop yesterday, apparently some quirk of nature,  perhaps a small tear in the gravitational field, surrounded the general vicinity of the desk, and adversely affected the chair, by removing it's atomic mass to zero, and in order to keep it from  floating away into the nether sphere, I had to weigh it down.  Now even more strange is the necessary mass/weight ration required to do it was in fact, EXACTLY that of my ass.  GO FIGURE!  So, not wanting the chair to float away and quite probably wreak havoc with the local air traffic control..I did my civic duty...and "Sat on it"
(are you buying ANY of this?)
OK, onto the topic of our title (or is that title of our topic?) 
Yesterday I was QUITE flabbergasted to say the least!  Now anyone that has been following this blog, knows that OCCASIONALLY I may, perhaps, SUBTLY poke fun at "boutique" bike shops.  But you may also have noticed that I have the good taste and professionalism to NOT mention them by name, as there are many who have, in the past, had "not-so-professional" opinions of us.  Petty?  Perhaps.  But hey, if Coke and Pepsi can do it (I mean come on they had a WAR!) why not us?
But today i will break with standard protocol, dispense with objective professionalism...
And name names!  Well one at least...
Chain Wheel Drive!
There I said it.  Probably one of the oldest Bike shops in the area (I hear tell)  the epitome of "Boutique Bike Shop" snobbery.
OR SO I THOUGHT! 
And boy Howdy, was I WRONG!!!
For the last couple of months I've had some folks coming in to check us out, buy a bike or do a re-pair and they've had these little slips of paper, like a big business card, with our name, address, phone number and google map, obviously printed out from our web listing's.  I, being the sharp witted individual that I am, took several times to finally become inquisitive and ask a customer with said slip of paper  "How did you hear about us?"
"Chain wheel drive RECOMMENDED you"
WOOF!
Not only have they been recommending us to folks looking for inexpensive used bikes, but ALSO inexpensive re-pairs!!  And not only that, someone there went as far as to print out these little slips of paper to hand out to customers!  I mean folks, i gotta hand it to them this goes above and beyond the call of customer care and professionalism. I was QUITE wrong about these folks, and where we may not see eye to eye on certain things, I aways like to be wrong about a negative, 'cause in the end, We all win!
So the next time I bad mouth a "Boutique Bike Shop" (and you know I will) the list DOES NOT include "Chain wheel Drive!"
SO, I have to get back to work now.
I think the chair has gone back to normal.
"LIKE NEW" BMX'ER
$60.00

SWEET LADIES HYBRID
ONLY 95.00!!!

"DAILY BANGER SPECIAL"
ONLY $70.00

No comments:

Post a Comment