Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

All Things Brady

Inevitably, when spending the day off with my children thoughts irrevocably drift to that of the Brady Bunch.
And how much my kids, 'aint.
Yes, the epitome of early 70's suburban bliss, where America was happy, smiling, carefree and snowy white (not to mention, at civil and social duress, war and upheaval...like I said "NOT" to mention)
Hey, for a kid growing up in rural/suburban New England it was not THAT far from reality TV.  Hence my desire for a big family.
Like I said...civil and social duress, war and upheaval...
But as I stood pruning my hedges and doing yard work my mind couldn't help but wander.
Perhaps the Brady Bunch was NOT so Sublime.  They skated the razors edge on a FEW occasions, subtly of course.  I could remember one episodes (thanks to Wikpedia for confirming my facts) in the fifth season, that was an attempted "Backdoor pilot", entitled "Kelly's Kids" where a suburban couple (friends of Mike and Carrol) end up adopted three boys, a white kid, an Asian American, and an African American (forgive me if the terms are not politically correct...I'm not hip) I mean think about it.  This was Saccharine sweet, middle America TV here folks!  To have such a controversial concept as a MIXED FAMILY on prime time TV!  Back THEN!  I mean we were no where NEAR as socaily advanced as to be ready for that!   For obvious reasons the show in it's initial form didn't make it to a series.  Only in 1986 did the "Concept" make it, then ran for only 6 episodes.  Obviously the networks STILL weren't ready to admit that this kind of unconventional family was acceptable.
Hey we've come a long way (somewhat)
And there were some (UN)intentional bloopers that ACTUALLY made it to air time!  I offer those snippets below (special hint, watch Robert Reeds Mouth when he's talking to Alice...you'll know what to look for.  And Just WHAT is Peter doing to Bobby?)
Ahh, the beauty of the Internet for research!  You find all KINDS of neat stuff!
And as far as work goes, Angela figured out the slow pace of this weekend...SPRING BREAK!  Shows you how informed, and observant I am.  I didn't even know the kids were off this week! 
WOOF.
So we will be building and building and building goodies, y'all make us a stop on yer exploits!


No comments:

Post a Comment