Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2011

God Really Does Work In Mysterious Ways

Things happen for a reason.  Don't pine box me in with the whole "everything is up to fate" crowd, but seem things really do occur with an agenda!  A couple days ago we picked up the black and red ladies cruiser in trade.  A slightly odd looking bike with an even odder color scheme.  Black and red.  Not your typical (if you'll pardon the chauvinistic term) girl color.  Right off I knew this bike was meant for a very specific owner.  Then after completing the rebuild I posted it and moved on, without a backward glance.
It's purpose struck me today like a sledgehammer.  In the middle of rebuilding a Schwinn, got a phone call.  A very shaky, timid voice on the line introduced himself in a very formal manor.  Announcing his name he proceeded to recite a short plea that apparently he had done several times before.  Elderly, living alone, fixed income, having to supplement his food budget by visiting the local soup kitchen, an eerily familiar condition in America today.  Recently he had to sell his car as he couldn't afford to keep it, but lives a mile and a half from the nearest stores.  As he requires the aid of a walker getting back and forth is almost impossible.  According to him he has spent the better part of two days calling around to local bike shops inquiring about the donation of a bike to make the trip easier.  Then he got to us.  And the first thing that popped into my mind was this cruiser.  Perfect for him!  Masculine color but a low step over, comfortable seat, wide tires for balance with a basket for his groceries!  I mean, I couldn't have built him a better bike!
My family and I have found out first hand that there are times in life when you need to rely on the kindness of strangers.  Quite frankly, our little enterprise here is due in part to such kindness.  And I mean beyond the welcome patronage of our customers.  Prior to us becoming "legit" we went through a real rough patch, and folks we didn't even know sent food, money, clothing a wealth of assistance, love and compassion that helped us all to get through it.  Well in the crazy hustle and bustle of getting through the day I  guess I lost sight of that.  But I'd like to do something a little more.  If anyone reading this has any supply of canned or boxed goods (and please...no Thanksgiving Yams.  Who eats those things anyway?) canned meat, soup dinners what have you.  Angi and I are putting together a care package and I'm going to see if I can arrange it with the lady from his soup kitchen, that's giving him a ride, to come down in a week or so to pick it up for him.  So if you have anything you can donate (no cash please) please drop it off at the shop, and we'll make sure it gets to him!  Thanks so much and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment