Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sign of the Times

I have to give my son credit.  As a parent I am always thrilled to find a moment to be especially proud of any of my children (as they reach teenagers it gets harder and harder).  The other day My high schooler Elijah really threw me for a loop.  Recently going back to his Sophomore year, and getting back into the swing of things, his school had a "mandatory" pep rally in commemoration of "Tolerance day".  Well color me SHOCKED (I am SO behind on the times) But it was in celebration of differences in sexual orientation.
wow.
I am by no means old fashion (at least not when it comes to sexual preference) but it came as a bit of an eye opener to realize that (at least his) schools have "come out of the closet" and realized that prejudice against homosexuals can no longer be swept under the rug and ignored. But rather acknowledged and excepted (I HATE the word "tolerated" as if to imply it was something unnatural)  Our children have long been taught to except a person for who God made them.  Most have them have attended "Pride" in both Houston, Texas and here in Saint Pete, as Mom and Dad were once members of PFLAG, in solidarity with several friends.  Two of Elijah's best friends are gay, and last night he approached me to ask if it would be all right if he joined the schools Gay/Straight alliance.
Color me impressed.
See, I can remember high school.  Plain and simple diversity was shunned and ridiculed.  Homosexuality didn't exist. ( Hell, they use to teach the girls that if a man attacked them not to fight back but lay there and let him have his way with them!)  Yes folks, Barbaric.  If you were different, you were labeled gay of a "fag".  Such identification was a death sentence.  So for my son to be brave enough to face such possible hostility with a "screw it!" attitude, my applauds abound!
Yes, sometimes they really surprise me.
Now If I can just get them to clean up the bathroom after themselves....

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that really IS impressive! What a wonderful son you have. My mom is gay, she's 71 years old this year. You can imagine what HER high school days were like. I'm glad times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're mom is proof positive that normalcy is not predicated on heterosexuality! Yes, it is about time that the classic lyrics "any love, is good love" finally is becoming excepted!

    ReplyDelete