Search This Blog

Monday, September 5, 2011

Here Be Dragons

If nothing else, watching movies, especially fantasy with children makes one pause for thought.  As motivation for rational thought there questions can give pause, for reflection.  Just such a moment occurred Sunday, as the children and I vegged on the couch watching "How To Train Your Dragon" A very good animated flick containing Vikings and , you guessed it, Dragons.
Let me pause briefly, to say at times I can be somewhat of a Killjoy.  Sad but true.  long ago in the fledgling years of our child rearing escapades, my wife and I discussed, as all parents should, the guidelines for rearing our children.  Most points we agreed upon.  However, there was one sticking point that took extensive debate.  let us call it the "Childhood Mysticism Factor"  Or in layman's term, when to tell the truth.  My argument was, there was no "Acceptable" falsehood to bestow upon a child, that includes Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, The Easter bunny...and other Mystical creatures.  Well in retrospect, thankfully I acquiesced to my wife, and for awhile, Santa has come down the Chimney, the Bunny leaves plastic eggs, and the Tooth Fairy, keeping up with inflation, leaves a dollar for every lost tooth.
however:
I had to draw the line at "things that go bump in the night", "Dark Dwellers", "Closet Monsters", and other daemons of dark ages.
That includes Dragons.
So when Owen, excited over the movie and hopped up on some kind of stolen glucose, asked me if HE could have a pet Dragon, I unceremoniously informed him Dragons did not exist.
The conversation then tail spun into a series of "did they kill them all off" "where did they all go" etc,etc.
A conversation that just about all there had a part in. Trying to explain superstitious history, the middle age fanaticism and religious paranoia.  The pre-enlightened discovery of fossilized dinosaur remains was not an easy task. In the end I realized that sometimes belief is so much more acceptable then fact, especially in the eye of  a child.
So I just shut up and put in our copy of Hellboy 2.
In the end, another error on my part considering how "they" depict the true mythology of the Tooth Fairy.
Thank heavens they haven't made a movie about the "real" Mermaids!

Anyway!  Thanks to the folks coming by yesterday to take a peek!  Thanks to Janelle For picking out the Ladies Cruiser for her ride of choice!  And to Chris for picking up the Pink Girls MTB, presumably for someone special in his life.  Also I'd like to thank the Gentleman from Crystal River who made the long trek down here as he has been following the blog and decided to visit with us.  Sorry I missed my chance to say "Hi".
on Today's slate is the completion of the "Rolls Royce" and a couple of 24" bangers we got on Saturday. as well as (hopefully) the vintage ladies Schwinn in Justin's bay!  So without further delay...off to the races!

No comments:

Post a Comment