Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Warms the cackles of my heart!

It must have been all the sleep but I was in a minimally bitchy mood today.  My son Kaleb actually came up to me this afternoon, with genuine concern in his eyes and asked me "Dad, is everything OK?  I mean why are you being so nice to everybody?"  AH, the wisdom of youth.  Yes, to tell a shop secret, I can be a bit of a less then cuddly bear at work.  I offer no excuses and no apologies.  And I always train the new guys "If you hear me start to use "Daddy Language"....duck!"
Thanks to Chip for the drop bye this morning and the help in set up.  He's horse trading for the [parts for Underdog.  I really can't wait to see the finished project, if it's a winner I'll want one.  I've always wanted a bike you lay down on!
Thanks to the flood of repairs coming in to keep us busy (and continue eating) We appreciate the trust!  And the CHALLENGES!
WOOF!
But we DO NOT believe in "throwing a bike away, and buying a new one" (I've never like that tag line that some bike shops use)  Yes it IS true that some re-pairs (even as cheap as us) can accumulate to be in excess of the "Value" of a bike.  But that's not our call.  That's up to the customer.  I mean technically my Ross isn't worth spit, But I'll put whatever necessary into her to keep her running!
Oh, and don't touch my Schwinn.....
Anyway!  Sold the GT to a nice young lady today, her ride to work (COOL). Actually her Mom bought her the Next yesterday, but she wanted one with a free wheel and liked the GT better anyway, so we gave her full value in trade and everyone went home happy!
Sorry we couldn't fit the gentleman who came in earlier this eve, for his wife's bike.  He came all the way down to see the Iron horse only to find out it was a 24".  OOPS!  SORRY!  And the Giant ladies 26" had no front shock!  But have NO fear , as I'm sure we will come up with something for you!
And to the wonderful couple who came down a couple days ago, after reading the blog to check us out and came in tonight to drop off a couple re-pairs (one SAH-WEET Bianchi!) and to order a three wheeler custom for their mom!  COOL!  Thanks for the business!  And have a grand time in Greece, your rides are safe with us (although I may be "forced" to take the Bianchi on an "extended" road test.  I mean I have to be sure it rides right, right?)
And thanks to another re-turn customer for picking up another banger!  I think that makes three for him, hunh?
OK, now on to the builds.  Put out a NICE Schwinn pro MTB, we picked up earlier today, and finished the Murray "Daily Banger Special"  I personally LOVE the old Murray's...TANKS!  Adam finished up a Ladies Giant, but i forgot to take a pic of that one.  I'll get it out tomorrow!
And Check out the latest finished strip from www.wartscomicsblogspot.com !  One of my FAVES so far!
Now onto the "heart warming" moment of my day. 
Mid afternoon, a little quite and I'm banging around the shop, and a visitor came in.  Now I'll pause briefly while I explain, I hate to use the term "Old lady" But this is how she referred to herself.  I prefer "retiree".  Much less offensive.
But.
She had heard about us from several of her friends in her retirement community.  Curious, she decided to hop the bus and come to see us.  Turns out her dad ran a bike shop in upstate New York, MANY years ago.  She stated she "grew-up" in the shop and many of her earliest and fondest memories took place in that shop.  Her dad would give her the task of separating certain nuts and bolts, etc and storing them in old coffee cans (deja vu!).  Now to hear her tell, this was when bikes "only had one gear" (?) WOW!  I'd have to do a little research, but that's gotta be SOME time in the past!  Sadly, her father passed away when she was still young and the business was taken over by his partner and family friend.  She said it was never quite the same without him.  And as life has a funny way of changing, all her youth faded into memory.  But as she came into our shop and wandered about heard the sounds, heard the noise, and smelled the smells, she couldn't help but be firmly reminded of her father.
Wow, I'm sorry I'm getting choked up again as I write this.  I do so hope that my children can have the same kind of memories of me and of this shop when they are in their golden years.
Even the time when i was not so much of a "cuddly bear"

SCHWINN PRO MTB
ONLY $95.00

"DAILY BANGER SPECIAL"
ONLY $55.00

3 comments:

  1. Dude, it's "cockles." Cackling is that sort of sharp, evil laugh that witches tend to make.

    You crack me up.

    I read everything you post from my reader; I don't always come to your site, though, so I probably don't show up on your visitor count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey lady! 'prec.iate the input, and don't want to come off as a smart ass (Yes, I know :inevitable") but i knew the proper saying is "cockles" however, it was a play on words. As in "the asylum inmate cackled uncontollably." fits in better around this place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.. well, then, carry on! :P

    Love!

    ReplyDelete