Search This Blog

Saturday, May 7, 2011

REALLY?!?! DUH!

OK, first today I am lazy.  After treating me to a movie last night, my wonderful wife had another surprise for me last night, She rented the new Green Hornet movie last night, and as I was still pumped (as much as us old farts CAN get pumped) I had to see it.  It was WELL worth the staying up  late!
Bad news?  My inner child was cranky and slept in!  SOOO, I opened a TAD bit late this AM.
Being as that is, I've just been kinda lazy this morning and have been punting about the Internet, and while checking my e-mail found an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal about the sad state of affairs in the United States Manufacturing sector.
Really?
WHY does this come as a shock?  Does the fact that the average age of skilled worker being 52, bring a gasp of alarm to your lips?
We spent the better part of the 80's and 90's shipping most of these positions over seas and telling American children that working with their hands was "beneath" them and instead convinced them to become Lawyers.  Now we have a lot of Law students interning at McDonald's schlepping "Big Macs" because 82% of all College graduates ARE lawyers.
It's called a GLUT!
So know most American firms are finding it quite difficult to fill positions RIGHT HERE in the States with qualified applicants (if they even get any applicants)  To the point where they are now sponsoring special events, paying for school, have Full time staff that do nothing but recruit.  and STILL they come up short.
Lets face it, we are screwing ourselves.  Now to some of you this statement may come as redundant, and elementary.  However it seems as if the folks in charge really didn't plan things to well.  We are coming into a bit of a crisis which we will see bear bitter fruit.  Within our lifetime there will be a time when shipping manufactures goods, supplies even food from another country will no longer be cost effective or possible (possibly) then where will we be?  We are quickly loosing the art of craftsmanship, creativity and production as we have become reliant upon other to do it for us, as a country.  Where am I going with this?  Think "Industrial Arts" you know, the class you took in your senior year because you didn't want to take a "real" class and they wouldn't give you credits for study hall.  Parents, you may not be giving your children sound vocational advice when you (mis)direct them to a life in the "professional" White Collar sector.
It's a useful thing to know corporate and industrial law.  But it's a LOT more useful to know how to build something!
Oh and speaking of building something...check this out.
TREK 720 CUSTOM
ONLY $165.00!!!

6 comments:

  1. DIYers and Makers rule! Hey Steven, I was in yesterday looking for a hybrid. I'm drooling over this Trek you were working on... Wish I could come in today and take it for a spin, but I'm booked up. I have this bike shaped hole in my life right now, and it is driving me nuts. I really want to get into making bikes, moding 'em, and tinkering... I have much to learn, and many stupid questions to ask... Bear with me.
    -Blaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are no "stupid" questions, only annoying people that won't stop asking them! (AHA!)
    Just kiddin' Never a problem, we're here to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be annoying; this is what I'm after http://bit.ly/jpNFvz. Actually, it's pretty much my dream rig; http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek_galleryWB720.htm, or the direction I wanna go. Ummm, I'll get back to ya da stupid questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, she's a bute alright! The 720 we just sold was probably a tad bit younger, the head badge was a little diff. BUT, I have had that particular model before. Sold it to one of our reg's a year or so again as a frame and he built it up to a BEAUT! So they are still out there! Keep an eye out for it here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. D'oh! You sold it? Yesterday? I didn't know the shop was open on Sunday. I was about to head over and buy it this morning (single tear). Suck

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry, man. Yep we're open 7 days a week! We LOVE our job!

    ReplyDelete