Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday Morning (B)news

Each morning on my way to the shop I pass the News Paper machine, and pause briefly to read the headlines.  I formulate (in the back of my cluttered brain) a pithy summation of the information with the intent of including it in my blog.  Well it rarely makes it, as once I GET into the shop I am usually inundated with so much else that THAT takes precedence, and once I sit down to write, I blather incoherently about some other trivial matter (yes. i know...SHOCKING Revelation) but NOT today!
On the front page of today's "Saint Petersburg Times"  was a shocking expose of immense importance!  Clearly an investigation of exhausting proportions.  "Traffic Tickets are EXPENSIVE!!"
Oh be still my heart!  And they thought "Watergate" was good reporting!  How ever did the reporter dig up this obviously well hidden governmental conspiracy!
OK, yes I AM being sarcastic.
And I offer no disrespect to the poor man featured on the cover photo (because I know him) but i do remember what traffic tickets (or "Moving Violations) cost.  See, I have not always been the saintly visage I am today.  Oh yes as shocking as that may be to some, I to have a record.
(editors note:  saying I have a "record" is being kind.  I have seen it.  And whereas local law enforcement does have a tendency to be redundant and long winded, mine has roughly the same page content as the rough draft of "War and Peace"...before the edit.
Funny story.  Whilst living in Texas, Oh so many years ago, I got pulled over for expired tags, and APPARENTLY had forgotten to pay a ticket.  Well in Texas they apparently DO NOT have an amnesty program.  Shortly thereafter I sat in a holding cell at the local constables office as they "requested" my driving record.  And as I sat waiting for the fax machine to finish printing it out (they had to put in a new ream of paper, as it had used up what was in the machine) the officer watching the print out sat, stunned watching page after page come out.  Apparently the humor of it was substantial enough he felt compelled to "share" it with the other officers present.  You would have thought they were watching the latest episode of "Hee Haw" they way they were laughing.  I mean i was pulled over in New Hampshire for "operation of a motor vehicle....NO LIE!!  In the end I got off with paying the overdue fine.)
So anyway, the article goes on to tell of the financial hardship that traffic tickets put on an already financially strapped populace.
????
Um...just a thought.  This isn't the rising cost of food, or utilities or the overwhelming cost of health care, something we, as a people have no control over.  It's a TRAFFIC TICKET!!!
Couple things.  As state budgets are slashed they are going to find a way to raise much needed capital (I mean the high muckety mucks have summer homes and mistresses to support!  Have a heart!) so whats a poor elected official going to do?  Stick it to the common folk!
But lets be honest, there is something you can do.  Actually 2 somethings we can do.  First, STOP DRIVING!  Buy a bike! (just remember to buy front and rear lights.  $186.00 fine in Clearwater if you don't have 'em on at night) But if you MUST drive...
SLOW DOWN!!!  Obey the stop signs, and lights.  You know, the stuff you learned in drivers ed.  Instantly NO financial hardship.
Now...if we could just do something about those pesky light bills!
ANYWAY.
Lots of goodies coming out today.  Every ones "In Da HOOWWSE!" and working feverishly, so come on down and pick out your "speed trap evaders!"

No comments:

Post a Comment