Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

DEAD

We'll get back to that.
ALOT going on this week, and it was a busy day at the shop although I was in slightly Zombified mode.  Had a GOOD day with the kids Sunday.  Went downtown Dunedin had lunch, the park ice cream and wandering about.  The usual "Dad, My FEET hurt" and what have you (plus Logan snuck out his Game boy, and was NONE to happy when daddy pocketed it! So had to look at that shocked and downtrodden puss for awhile, until he finally came around) then home and diner and the ritualistic get ready for the first day of the school week rush.
Now Today.  Got our regular Monday visit from Chip on his "Humility Run" and we chatted about the "prone" he's working on that has been code-named "Underdog"  Also he showed me an AWESOME use for used bike tubes.  Wallets! (amongst other things) That's right, check out www.alchemygoods.com they have some COOL goodies on there!  Thanks for the heads up, Chip!
Also we are in COUNTDOWN mode for this Friday....
THOR! premiers!  Color me THERE!
Now, ever heard the old saying "if it's to loud, you're too old!"  Well apparently, I'm too old.  I can still re-member "Banging" my head to Quiet Riot, Iron Maiden and Twisted Sister, But something has happened and I have become "That" Old Man.  Perhaps it is constantly having to tell my older boys to turn OFF their headphones when they are around me, or turn down the radio when I am home, but today in the store I think I gave some kid a minor heart attack as I am SURE he isn't used to being told that.  A boy came in today to have a bike appraised for sale, Angie called me from the back and as I came out I heard the annoying tones of Rap music.  Now before I sound TO stereotypical, I listen to Ice T and LL Cool J when I was younger, but this new stuff? Garbage. And as I approached him, before I even thought about it I said "I'll be happy to help you but shut that (expletive) OFF! 
WHOOP! There it is!  I am OFFICIALLY an old Codger!
OH Well.
So, the store was abuzz with the happy sounds of disgruntled bike mechanics today.  Jose' wandered back in after being missing for three days, but apparently he DID throw out his back, and did in fact call but left a message, which I didn't get until this morning (MY phone SUCKS!) but he made up for it.  Put out an old early 70's ladies single speed Schwinn, and a NICE Schwinn Sidewinder (which sold about 15 minutes later to a wonderful couple who have visited us several times in the last couple weeks looking for a new ride! GLAD we could FINALLY oblige!  Also sold the cool retro 90's MTB (you know the black and orange one) first thing this morning to another regular couple!  Thanks for coming back to us!  Me?  I've got three re-paints in the works but didn't manage to get any of them finished (sorry) A real SAHWEET looking Schwinn Mutt, cross between a road bike and an MTB, also a retro, Back to the future Murray, and a Trek 720. Hopefully I'll have them all wrapped up Wednesday, as tomorrow both Angie and i have Doctors appt's tomorrow.  Yay!  Not looking forward to that!
And on the re-pair front, busy as well there, keeping the masses teeming!  And I still get a kick out of the hesitation and guarded way some folks bring in warranty work.  I guess some folks still question as to whether or not we will actually honor it.  Well, we do!  Much to somes surprise!
OK, now on to the title of the days entry.
As I am sure most ALL folks know at this point Osama Bin Laden is dead.  Yes the simple four letter word blazoned across my title head is ripped from the front page of the Saint Petersburg Times.  I don't think I have EVER seen a type face on that paper THAT big.  And as I am sure EVERY one has an opinion I hope you don't mind if I share you mine.  I do NOT want to diminish any one's feelings in this matter, as this man  has come to personify the "evil incarnate" that struck our Nation almost a decade ago.  Nor will I even attempt to identify with anyone suffering (as so many before have done to try and boost ratings) as I did not loose any one in that tragedy.  But I can also NOT take any kind of pleasure or joy in the death of another human being, no matter how insidious they may be.  I know some of you may now think less of me, but I would be doing you and I a REAL disservice if I were not honest.  Nor can I not feel a twinge of agitation and disgust as i listen to the words of our commander and chief, clearly seeking a sound bite and a few point spike in his approval rating as he droned on about the success of "his" work. 
And truthfully, after learning that it was in fact NOT American troops that fished Saddam Hussein out of his little bunker, and that the media lied and used it as a "Photo op"...well I'm waiting for the final tally on this one. 
In the end, he was one old man on dialysis.  There's still alot of loonies out there who feel no regret for sacrificing innocents to further their own gains.
On ALL sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment