Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

The Definition of DUHHHHH!

A story bandied about at almost any of my family gatherings  involves a family trip to Boston.  At the tender age of 6 or so, my mother, father, sister and I were strolling through the Boston Commons.  For any non-initiate think Central park lite.  As we strolled we came upon 1 of many park benches set tastefully facing the main thoroughfare, nestles amongst flowering bushes.  The standard wooden and wrought iron affair, done in traditional forest green.  This particular one, though was adorn with bright yellow warning tape set across the metal hand rest cordoning off the seat, at the center of the tape hung a bright cleanly calligraphic sign "WET PAINT"  Now to and adult this was an unquestionable truth.  To an 8 year old somewhat more mature 8 year old girl, words to read, understand and clearly avoid.  BUT to a "curious" 6 year old boy with a penchant for "learning from experience" it was an open invitation.
WELL, seeing as it was an oil base paint, and my father had forgotten to include mineral spirits in his travel plans, I was forced to face the remainder of the day with green hands.  I say "hands" because apparently 1 hand was not a sufficient enough tool of discovery!
I would like to say however, that as I was only 6 reading was not my forte.  I'd "LIKE" to say that, but unfortunately both my mother, father AND sister had forewarned me PRIOR to my investigation.  One launched when all other parties were otherwise engaged!
So I'm sure many of you might question WHY to this day i am surprised that the curse my Mother place upon me at a tender age when she would shout in a fit of frustration "I HOPE that some day YOU have children that act the same as YOU!" works SO well!
Now many can attest that i am the first to point out when i do something stupid, or "inadvertently" (I LOVE that word) screw up.  So you'll forgive me as i regale you with tales of other peoples S.N.A.F.U's.
First (I'll save the funniest (and scariest) for last) To Jose' whom today has discovered a lesson best learned by experience, as he struggled three days to complete...a $45.00 bike.  Believe me I fully understand Vendettas!  I still remember Damien (a green $50.00 Huffy that took 5 days to finish.  i just WOULDN'T let it go) a struggle valiantly fought, and won.  But now he understands the statement "pick your projects...wisely"
Hopefully tomorrow will bring him better fortune.
Now on to the fun part!  Upon returning home tonight i was greeted by my wife's plaintive screams of panic "NO!  NOT IN THE SINK!" 
See, we recently acquired a small electric coffee grinder.  Not battery operated mind you,  but a plug in (don't beat me to the punchline) and our "son" (i will save him TOTAL embarrassment by not mentioning names) wanting to help clean was Washing said grinder UNDER a running faucet.  The worst part was...it was still plugged in.
Let that sink in for a minute.
Again no names, but he's WAY old enough to know better.
As I said, it's scary to think that these kids are swimming in the same gene pool as I.  And trust me, some of ';em are treading water in the shallow end!
SO!
Work today was once again blissfully brisk!
SOLD THE VINTAGE SUBURBAN!!!  And got two SWEET trades as well!  One is already done and out!  Needed quite a bit of work but was WELL worth it!  this one a Men's Giant with all the trimmings!  Also got ANOTHER (GOODIE) road bike!
The Ladies Schwinn went out to one of our regulars (very happy!) and it was cool to boot.  She shopped with us WAY WAY back, when we were still at the house and still had a credit slip from when she did!  one of our OLD receipts!  A real trip down nostalgia lane!
Had a PLETHORA of re-pairs today as well (thank you so, SO much!) that kept us hopping!  Managed to get the Fuji road bike part-cleaned and through paint, and she'll be together first thing tomorrow!  Put out a real nice ladies banger as well!
So as tomorrow is Saturday we expect to see you all there with sun shiny faces!

7 SPEED 20" MAKO!!!
ONLY $35.00

20" "PORK CHOPPER"
$45.00

LADIES 24" MTB
$75.00!!

BEAUTIFUL MENS GIANT
ONLY $180.00

No comments:

Post a Comment