Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2010

All Work and No Play....

Double Day Entry!  Didn't touch base after our day ended yesterday, had a ....little accident.  And was not feeling up to snuff.  I won't go into the gory details (much) but suffice It to say you should NOT us a table grinder to clean a brake cable...(I'll wait for the horrific image to sink in)  My dumb ass got 4 slices on the stomach before I stepped away from the rapidly rotating metal lash! Angela, my immortal beloved did an excellent job at doctoring my wounds, and truth to tell its moments like that you find out who loves you.  I finished out my day though, we NEED bikes.  And I was working on a converted Roadmaster ladies MTB.  I'd show a pic..but why bother, it sold right after opening today!  Have no fear though have a couple more in the hopper (UGH! I keep forgetting...always check and make sure the cup you're sipping from is, in fact yours.  Stale, flat watered down root beer...BLAH!) A real sweet Mongoose XR-250 (2008) MTB someone pulled out of the trash. Believe me...it was.  A 26" bike with a baled 24" cruiser tire in the back, 20" bmx wheel in the front...and those we're the good features.  But Kaleb and one of our bestest buds (and bike groupie, Matt) have been giving it TLC. Kudos and Hididdely Ho to Matt.  Bored on a Saturday he showed up today to BS and ended up just starting to work!  Cool!  He helped me finish this FRIGGIN' SWEET! Panasonic Road Bike I've been working on (brag more in a minute).  He and Zombie-boy are old NAVY boys, and had a lot to yak about.  Saw some regulars today pop in, many nice words of encouragement were given...THANK YOU!  They re-member us from the old Garage days, nice to know we're still in their thoughts.  Love you, folks.  Stop by anytime.  One lovely lady and her daughter stopped by whom have bought several bikes from us in the past, looking for a ride for another of her daughters (how many does she have?  We've met two so far.) She really liked the wood grain lookin' Roadmaster 20", but someone had been in with their daughter a few moments before and we're (supposedly) going to the ATM.  Well, they never came back, so if you still want it mama, it's here.
A side note whilst I'm thinking about it, mentioning ATM's.  Had a couple of occurrences yesterday...occur.  Most people when they are informed we only take cash, trade or barter except it in stride, but yesterday we had a customer who took it with less grace.  When she took out her checkbook and I informed her we did not except checks, she became rather...offended.  And promptly left, without her sons chosen bike.  I feel sorry for the young lad because he seemed to really like it.  Please, I don't wish to insult anyone.  I will (briefly) explain our payment policy yet again (it's been a little while since I did)  Most of what we do here is motivated by two factors, ecological and political (economical goes without saying) Simply put, our world economy is in the state its in primarily due to debt.  And we don't want you to pay anything more then what we sell the bike for. Period.  If that is an inconvenience to any one, we are sorry, but we have principals and will not stray.



OK back to the fun!  Western Flyer Guy and his lovely wife came by and gave me pause for play!  I'll tell you this couple are cool.  Very retro (he dresses like one of the fifties style Mambo Kings..Very Chic) and there in to the cool sh...tuff.  He brought in a classic late 40/s early 50/s Western Flyer Super 53 for us to restore.  Well yesterday he brought in a Way cool Rat Fink Tryke!  Everyone had to give it a try.  Not the easiest ride, but MAN does it look cool.  We're doing some repairs, and a clean up.  Also gonna try and give it a padded sissy bar to make it a little easier to get up inclines (lord knows I'd need it for my plump mid-section!)  
Well yesterday also brought us some new friends.  A very nice networking exec (suit and tie type, somewhat out of place here) but after the initial wave of stark fear for possibly being served passed, he just let us know he'd noticed the weird bikes outside and just had to stop.  And in the ensuing conversation turns out he did alot of the same thing in his younger days, and loved what we were rekindling.  He hope we were able to keep it up and even offered his services gratis to get the word out to his groups.  COOL! the more converts and nostalgia buffs we can turn the better!


OK, I'd said I was gonna brag so...here ya go.  Got this nice (but well worn) Panasonic MX 2000 Road bike, in trade a week or so ago.  Needed major help.  Finally got in a set of wheels for it, so broke it down and started setting out parts.  Well this poor thing had a mountain bike drive train (bio-sphere, even!) among other atrocities.  SO setting that aside I dipped in to the nice higher end components I'd picked up last week.  And after a sharp paint scheme (I call it Vlad, you'll see why by the color scheme, very tres' Vampiric) put it all together, a little finesse (hammer time) and I took it for its road test.  Now I don't care to ride road bikes (chubby belly, bad back...go figure) But...WOWZERS!! This baby is FAST!  and LIGHt, I couldn't believe it!  Made me look GOOD!  So this baby will be up for grabs first thing in the AM tomorrow!  Check it out!
SOLD!

No comments:

Post a Comment