Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

PLEASE tell me, was I EVER that stupid!?!

So Hows your day been going?
OK, enough about you lets talk about me for a change.
The Parental curse is in FULL effect!  When my Mother used to shout at me "I hope you have children and they do to YOU what you do to ME!"
Wow! It's all true folks!  If your parents ever said these things to you and you are currently engaged in negotiations with you significant other regarding child bearing... remember Bob Barkers famous closing line "Remember, have your spouse spade or neutered!"
SO, I'm into a busy day yesterday, Lots goings on!  Trying to button up the household set up.  Angela diligently waiting for the cable guy (yes broke down there to!  Did I not predict that after a month and half of cable at the hotel, there was NO way I was gonna get away with NOT having it!) and I will not bore you with a far to passe' tantrum about the whole "we'll be there between..." routing.  Suffice it to say she waited until 5 pm, then went to the store for 15 minutes, at which point the guy shows up, and only the eldest boy is there and the installer "Can't work unless parents are home" and promptly leaves!  OH YEA!  Color US  annoyed!   She's also waiting for the landlord to get in there and replace the water heater (the current one is a 20 gallon tank!?  Allowing you a blissful 3 minute shower before your wedding tackle shrinks to the size of raisins!) and to finish the "Media" room.  Fancy hunh?  It;s not a family room, it's a "MEDIA" room!
But I digress
So I had made plans with Terry for the afternoon to go up to Spring Hill (50 miles from here) to pick up a living room set i found on Craigslist.  Sofa LS and chair, overstuffed, like new for $150.00 buck!  Couldn't beat that. I'm on the line with him, while helping out two customers, and I get a call in on the call waiting I DON"T switch over to.  Bad Move!  I hang up with Terry, put the phone down to finish with the customers when the phone rings again, it's my eldest calling me to inform me in a panic that Kaleb has been arrested!
The officer had been TRYING to reach me to inform me that he was holding him, and that I needed to come and meet with him up by the school.  GREAT!  Of course this does not come as a HUGE shock to us, as the boy has been heading in that direction (all of those who read this regularly will Know that) and of course excluding any Dad intervention, there is NOTHING offered by the School to help prevent such delinquency in children!  Lets face it folks it was OUR generation that screwed ourselves!  All the soft handed, lightweights who CRIED in the 80's and 90's and sued the HELL out of everyone who even thought of looking cross eyed at their kids, sowed the fields for the latest generation of violent, uncouth, rude, disrespectful little snots we have running around!  When you take the power away from the schools, the parents, and the authorities and the courts do nothing but GENTLY slap them on the wrists until they are 18?  What the HELL did you expect!  Well, I wouldn't say i go easy on my kids, but knowing the impact that a good beating would have on the rest of my family, I've had to stop short of TRULY putting the fear of God into this boy (and trust me at times I've drawn blood on my own tongue!)  Well once freeing up my time I headed up to meet the officer.
Here's the scene, Kaleb trounced up in cuffs in the back seat of the cruiser, the officer explains to me that Kaleb, with the assist of two of his IDIOT friends had a BB Gun, across from the school shooting at kids as they were leaving school!  Now that not be bad enough, my bonehead of a son decides when the officer shows up and tells him to drop the weapon and surrender, his moronic cronies tell him "Run, Kaleb!" and he does!  Hopping his friends bike he shoots off behind the Walgreen's and a chase worthy of a full hour episode of C.O.P.S ensues!  Lights and sirens blaring Kaleb attempts to outrun and out maneuver the police car!  Realizing he can't do that he ditches the bike and tries to do the "Compton Climb" Over a fence, at which point the officer, now in fast foot pursuit, grabs him and tosses him to the deck.  Wow, makes a dad proud (yes that statement is DRIPPING oozing sarcasm!) So now he faces a litany of charges that range from assault to resisting arrest. And what do they do?  Release him to my custody!  What do I say?  Do you HAVE to?"  Apparently, yes.  Because as the officer said (behind a practiced rolling of his eyes) they'll take him in process him and then call you in 2 hours to come and get him!  NOTHIN"!  Oh he'll go through the court thing, the probation thing, the stern talking to thing straight on to... NO-thing! 
PHEH!
Well after that bit of happiness, and the standard, useless "falling on deaf ears" speech from dad, Terry had shown up "On the scene" and brought us back to the shop, where we had to turn around and head out, higgley piggley to Spring Hill!
I'll tell you, I'm use to a half a block commute to work, this long distance stuff is BORING!  But the company was good and it gave me a chance to come down from my self righteous high and relax (even got a chance to hear the most AWESOME country song, I've never heard before! HonkyTonk Badonkadonk!  I love it when the white folk pick up on inner city slang, makes  for good controversy! (OK, I was just informed I am WAY behind the times as this song apparently has been around for a LONG time.  Shows you the size of the rock I live under!)
Well upon retrieving the SWEET looking set of furniture, we headed out back home (and found some nice bikes along the way being thrown out!) The trip back was quicker and pleasant.  I had calmed down and was feeling good about chilling out on the new furniture and enjoying my wife on our 19th anniversary.  We unloaded the furniture and then I received a phone call.....
Needless to say my brief moment of calm and relaxation, was entirely TO brief.
APPARENTLY....
whilst working on a freewheel....
in  "line of sight" of the front door...
from WAY back in the Dungeon....
it broke apart (under the pressure of a hand held grinder with a wire wheel attachment)
and AS it was spinning in the direction of the front...GLASSSSSSSSSS door...
(Oh don't beat me to the punchline!)
a bearing the size of a dwarf PEA hit it *ting*, and demonstrated why they call it "safety Glass!"


A brief pause while you soak it all in.
AS the 24 hour emergency glass repair wants $500.00 to replace it, Zombie-Boy (wisely) offered to "store sit" for the night until I could have it fixed today.

Lord. 
But, as I've always said "Any day you can walk away from, is a good day!"
As faras work goes, We through it all have managed to get some work done!  Mainly re-pairs, but will have 3 new ones out by this evening!
And a special shout out to Chip!  Below is his "Leaf" commercial he e-mailed me.  Check it out folks and vote for it so he can win a REAL sweet bike! 
Alright, NOW I have to work!

2 comments:

  1. I read this aloud to my husband and, I'm almost ashamed to admit, we were laughing. "Do you HAVE to?" was where you got me.

    This parenting thing is a blast, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well as my dad always says "As long as you keep your sense of humor, you'll be all right!"

    ReplyDelete