Search This Blog

Thursday, June 18, 2015

“With every day, and from both sides of my intelligence, the moral and the intellectual, I thus drew steadily nearer to the truth, by whose partial discovery I have been doomed to such a dreadful shipwreck: that man is not truly one, but truly two.” _Robert Louis Stevenson

Well....that happened!!
Ok..so a funny thing happened on the way to the desk...
TEN MINUTE RULE almost gone horribly wrong! 
So, toward the latter half of the day yesterday, after a rather lackluster day of puttering (well, not so puttering. managed to put out two newbies and bang out four EZ repairs!) had a gent come in, we'll say...umm...fourish?  He had noticed a dual shock MTB we had put out the night before, apparently window shopping after hours, and came in to "snag it up". He appeared to be somewhat of the quiet type, didn't say much, but asked if he could road test it.  SURE!  No worries!  He heads off around the block, and I go back to my bay, banging away on one of the hybrids we put together, then about five minuets later, comes back, parks the bike, waves a short salute, says his thanks and leaves.  OK, obviously not what he was looking for, no worries!  Less the ten minuets later a young lady comes in, inquiring about the same bike, asks the pertinent questions (work done, age, would it fit so and so a height man, and the warranty info) and after she seemed satisfied with the answers, snags it up.  Saying our so longs, I went back at it.
Less then ten minuets later (you notice a trend here?) the first gent comes back in, and upon noticing the ride was no longer in the spot he left, inquired as to where it had wandered off too.  I answered simply "we just sold it."  Well, at this point, not unlike Robert Louis Stevenson's literary creation, his timid demeanor shifted to one of contemptuous wrath, and began spatting vitriol about "unprofessionalism" and "he was just going to get money" and "how could we have sold it out from underneath him"!  Calmly, but with my own ID inspired monster broiling beneath my placid exterior, I relented the floor and allowed him his tantrum.  Once I found a moment that opened a question, allowing me response time, I simply stated that he had said nothing when he left so I only assumed that he was not interested.  Well, at that moment I saw the slightest gleam of recognition to this fact, but not willing to relinquish his incensed  high ground, huffed, and with a few choice words...left.
WOOF!  How some people can get THAT wound up, well, the old saying "It's the quiet ones you have to worry about" comes to mind.  Shaking it off (which, at times, can be a chore) I went back to finishing up the second hybrid.
Oh...the story doesn't end there...
About an hour before close, having now shifted into "cleaning mode" I had my back to the store, sweeping out the debris from my bay, when I heard the tell tale "chunk" of the sticky front door opening.  I turned around with a smile to greet who ever came in, only to find the gent standing there.  Oh, for a brief moment I had a sudden chill of "the unrealistic psychopath coming back to seek revenge" but, with relief" recognized the contrite stance he took.  Recovering myself I cautiously inquired "what can I do for you" to which he extended an apology and the almost humorous revelation that, as it turns out, the lady who had come in and snagged up the ride in between his visits, was in fact, his wife, looking to get him a surprise!  So either, he had time to think about his behavior and come to terms with his overreaction, and the subsequent apology necessary OR, upon learning of her purchase, related his story of impropriety to her, and she ordered an "about face" and "go say you're sorry, young man!"  (given her out spoken manner, I am more inclined to believe the latter!)
Well, as mentioned, we banged out two "need a LOT of work, cause they sat in the back yard for far to long" hybrids.  which, in addition to the repairs, took up the better part of the day.  We did get in a sweet little 20" BMX in trade, just around close, so I'm jumping on that one shortly!
Other then that...enh?  Not too sure, but we'll see which way the wind carries us!
See y'all soon!!!


image 1
LADIES 18 SPEED HYBRID!!
ONLY $95.00!!
image 1
MEN'S 18 SPEED HYBRID!!!
ONLY $95.00!!!

1 comment:

  1. Say what you will (and I know you will), you're still the best reality show in town!

    ReplyDelete