Search This Blog

Saturday, December 14, 2013

OH DARN! Now My Hat Won't Fit!

Not unlike the earlier incarnation of Superman, via Max Fleisher's brilliant animation style, at the close of business yesterday I envisioned myself proudly perched atop a cloud bursting skyscraper!  Clenched fist thrust proudly upon my hips with a brilliant crimson cape flowing in the high wind. Chest proudly inflated (and stomach sucked in) I jut my rugged jaw forward, flashing that award winning two dollar smile with eyes set determinately to the horizon!  A huge vision of the American flag fluttering in the wind brightly engulfed in a golden hue! 
Yes folks, my enormously over inflated ego cannot allow the wonderful compliments we received yesterday to pass without mention!
Our mild mannered bike mechanic had set about his daily task, blissfully unaware of the oncoming flow of blessings!
OK, OK  I'll stop the overly dramatic narration. 
It was a day like any other day...
Now is the winter of our self indulgence....
Once upon a time....
Gregor Samsa awoke to find he had been transformed into a giant cockroach...
Skip it.
What a bloody long winded preamble!  Who writes this stuff?!
So, yesterday we had several new visitors to the shop, and we thank them greatly for their patronage.  It really tickles my fancy when we get folks like this in, and I do feel like I just have to share it, if nothing else because it is a constant reminder that we are doing a good thing here. 
Got a call from a couple down in Saint Pete inquiring as to the cost of a couple small repairs.  I filled them in on the price and they said they would be down shortly.  My first assumption was they were headed in this direction for something else and were just killing two birds with one stone.  I was wrong.  I am quite humbled to say their whole reason for coming the distance was to see us!  Apparently they caught one of our adds on Craigslist and were enamored with the sentiment in it.  The common opinion we shared on what a bike shop should be.  In their own words they admitted there were several other bike shops in their town, "but...."  There was nothing more needed to say, as the tilt of the eye and shrug of the shoulders they gave was all telling.  Pretty much the same all over when it comes to "boutique" bike shops!  I'm also glad that during the time they were here allowed them to take a tour through Honeymoon Island while they awaited the fix! 
And it seems that's not all the visitors we had from Saint Pete.  Actually, come to think of it, most were from Saint Pete!  The second gentleman to visit from down yonder turned out to be a Professor from Saint Pete University (as a side note, I don't know how I'd feel going to a school that's acronym sounded out "Spew"?  What's their school song "OH, We Love Spew....."?  Sorry, I digress...) who is one semester away from retirement and is looking for a bike to toddle around with his grand kids.  As he was scouting out the SWEET three-wheeler we have, he mentioned the blog, asked some questions regarding the families well being, then commented that he thought I was an "Excellent writer". 
Get that?  A college professor thinks I am an excellent writer!  So to some of our more erstwhile critics I say "nyah, nyah, na, nyah, nyah!" Although...come to think of it...he could be a professor of psychology and we could simply be an interesting case study in narcissism. 
Oh well.
We then had a visit from a young man, who could be, for all intense and purposes, a young Brad Pitt.  A fledgling bicycle mechanic himself, working for another Saint Pete bike shop came here to buy his bike!  He'd seen the red monster fixie on Craigslist and fell in love with it.  Obviously, being in the field he KNEW what a bargain it was!  And this kid was sharp!  He had all his ducks in a row, self assured and knew what he wanted.  And organized.  MAN!  I wish I had that level a head when I was his age!  This boy is going places! 
And haven't had one of these sales in awhile!  The "I'm tired of walking. Think I'll buy a bike" sales!  Sold the Mongoose D-40 in just such a way! 
Well, wish me the best of luck as tonight Angi and I will be endeavoring to do our first wave of Christmas shopping! 
AHHHHH!!!
I so hate shopping!  But, no matter how mama wants to strangle our kids from time to time she loves to spoil them when the occasion calls for it.  So for her, I endure!
Alright, I'd best get at it, and while I am, check out the newbies we put together yesterday! 
See ya soon!

"LIKE NEW!" 20" BMX W/NEW TIRES!!!
ONLY $60.00!!

LADIES 26" CRUISER!
ONLY $65.00!!

No comments:

Post a Comment