Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

And The Time's, They Are A Changin'

Corny title, I know. 
But as we sat loosely celebrating Elijah's eighteenth last night I couldn't shake the echo of that song from my head.  I just wish we could have ushered in his adulthood with a little more pomp and circumstance.  Sadly, with the chaos of the last month, the plans we had made reluctantly fell by the wayside.  We were able to eek out a day away from the house for him, a special lunch with dad and some cash for him to go and splurge on one of his patriarchal inspired obsessions, movies.  He took a trip to Best Buy and got himself a copy of Kick Ass 2 and Paul.  Originally he and Kaleb were going to go out for the evening but he postponed that until Friday in lieu of staying home and watching one of the aforementioned flicks.  We had a cake and sung the song but I could tell, regardless of how he tried valiantly to hide it, it was a little less then momentous.  It made me think of my own coming of age.  Oddly enough, mine was apparently less then memorable as well, for I can't recollect what I did when I turned 18.  Around our house, given the regular tough time my Mom my sister and I endured, I'm sure it was light,  not the big to do you would wish.  I appreciate the fact that our kids are adaptable and understanding.  They're good kids, unspoiled without the inclination to inquire "Is that all?" Angi and I just wish we could do more, as I am sure so many folks nowadays can concur!
Now, while we are on the subject of Elijah, he surprised me yesterday by taking the initiative, while he was on his jaunt, to stop by his employer (just to refresh, he worked a week in October for a remodeling firm that travels the country following work) to inquire as to when they will be starting up work again (they take November and December off for the Holidays) and he was informed that they would be ready to go mid January.  It appears his new career is a go for the new year! 
Want to know the weird part?  I'm going to miss him.  He will be gone for ten months.  No weekends off, and unless they are working in the area, no home time.  Lord knows I have chided these kids for the course of this blog, but for the most part, in good natured fun.  As much as I am a foil for them, so are they for me but in the end the house will feel a tad incomplete.  As he has reached this point in his life I cannot avoid reflection tinged with regret.  I wish we had done more together.  All those Norman Rockwell inspired musings over camping, fishing, hiking, boys night out etc.  I hate to admit it but these kids have not had it easy.  Sure, we try and have moments, but they are few and far between.  In the end, what will he have to hold on to?  We have dinners every night as a family and almost everything we do, we do together, but I can't think of one thing they can point to, in fondness and say "we did that!"  Perhaps this is an empty nest thing that we all must go through, and maybe it will get easier over time.  In final analysis, though, we must have done something right with him as he assured us that he would be sending money home each week to help out the family.  I must admit, I am very proud of this kid!
OK, tissue moment over. 
On to work!  (before I start tearing up again!)
Yesterday was a BLITZ!!!  Let me see if I can remember everything.  Early afternoon, after a traditional slow Tuesday morning, I had been putting the finishing touches on both a NICE Mongoose XR-200 and an even more impressive Leader MTB, when we had a slew of customers descend upon us!  In ten minuets we sold the Sampson road bike to a very satisfied gent who had been looking for just such a light weight Titanium bike as she, to augment his bicycle stock!  At the same time a father daughter team came in and snagged up the Schwinn MTB and the dual shock, disc brake Next MTB.  At the same time a couple came in with two GORGEOUS hybrids, a Specialized Crossroads and a Schwinn Sierra 700 to put on consignment.  No sooner had they left did a gent come in, see the Specialized and gleefully exclaim (as he found out the ridiculously reasonable price we were asking) "My  friends told me this was the place to go!"  and snatched it up!  Could have knocked the original owners over with a feather when I called them and told them to turn around and come grab the money.  What was equally gratifying is when they informed me over the phone how grateful they were, as they were selling the bikes to help out a friend having a hard time this Holiday season!  Also sold the blue Mongoose BMX to a fella picking it up for a "hit hard times family".  Seems his wife works at a school where the majority of the kids are from low income families.  He himself is a machinist that makes components for bike parts for Profile.  In a child's mind this equates to a person who builds bikes.  A young lady at the school approached his wife and asked if he would "build" her brother a bike for Christmas.  WOW!  Now THERE is a child that gets the true meaning of Christmas!  I couldn't think of a more deserving home for that Mongoose to go to!
As mentioned, managed to put two more goodies together with a third in my rack, not to mention the remaining hybrid on consignment!  So please. check 'em out and I am going back at it!  See ya soon!

SCHWINN SIERRA 700
ONLY $220.00!!

MONGOOSE XR-200 DUAL SHOCK
ONLY $95.00!!!

LEADER LIGHTWEIGHT MTB HARD TAIL!
FORNT/REAR DISC BRAKES!
ONLY $260.00!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment