Search This Blog

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Duck Dynasty Debacle!

Just caught wind of this latest controversy, and as I am prone to do so on many occasion, I just have to put in my two cents!  I have never watched Duck Dynasty but I don't live under a rock.  I've heard of it.  Recently the patriarch of the show, Phil Robertson was suspended indefinitely due to disparaging remarks regarding homosexuality.  Referring to it, among other things, as illogical.
Let me make one thing perfectly clear regarding my opinion on sexuality, for what it's worth.  We are conceived and born, as we are.  Everything is predetermined genetically (and if you want to get religious, by God) and we are who we are.  Homosexuality is NOT a choice.  That being said I feel that homosexuals should be afforded all the rights and privileges, freedom and protections that every other member of the human race does.  No exceptions.  It is with that in mind that I come to Phil's defense.  As much as I disagree with his opinion, he has every right to express it!  How can any individual, group or affiliation deny him that right or penalized him for expressing it?  To the best of my knowledge, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what the first amendment protects?  He didn't say "kill them" or "burn them" or "Run them out of town"  he just questioned the appeal of the male anatomy versus the female.  And I can only assume that in his part of the world, that may be a predominately popular opinion.  So what's all the uproar about.  Look, there are folks out there who don't like homosexuals, or whites or blacks Methodists or Catholics.  If that hatred spills over to violence or denying those we don't like their basic freedoms, then we'll talk.  Phil merely voiced his opinion on a subject.  And quite frankly, those who watch the show and may have heard it probably share similar opinions anyway. 
In the end, you cannot deny one person their rights in order to obtain your own!

1 comment:

  1. While discretion is certainly the better part of valor, we all do have the right, if not the civic obligation, to be stupid in public. And come on, did anyone out there really expect the man to hold an opinion other than the one expressed? I'm only amazed anyone's amazed.

    ReplyDelete