Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

It Was Only A Matter Of Time.

I knew, eventually, odds would win out and one of these would end up in our shop.  With so many bicycles migrating to Florida with their owners it was just a matter of time.  But what an unsuspecting, mild mannered source. 
Yesterday as Elijah and I were elbow deep trying to make heads or tails of the previous day's windfall of assorted bike trinkets we were suddenly blessed with a rush of newcomers checking out our wares.  We quickly sold both the 24" MTB and the 26" dual shock MTB.  Thankfully we still had the 26" as the 24" sold 10 minuets before the young lady and her father, who had originally called about the 24", came in.  As it turned out, she was too tall for the 24" anyway,  so it worked out for the best.  While all this hullabaloo was happening a gentleman had meandered into the store and was looking around patiently waiting for me to finish the rush.  Asking him if he needed any assistance, he responded that he was wondering if we were interested in looking at an old bike he had kicking around his garage, and would be interested in selling it for him.  We started chatting and he described it as an old Schwinn that he had bought new in 1978 and had been using it as a daily rider up until two years ago when it was hung in the garage.  After a hiatus he took her down to try his hand at riding again, but sadly his balance would not allow it and had a bad fall.  It was unfortunately time to part with it.  As we continued to talk I began to ask questions about it's condition and type, to which he responded,  "I have it in the car, why not just take a look"  He went out, retrieved the bicycle and as my attention was drawn to something Elijah was engaged in, I didn't see him walk across the parking lot, but as I turned when he walked back in,  I immediately recognized the prize!
A 1977 Schwinn Paramount!!!!
UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE!!!  And is she GORGEOUS!  Well maintained with only minor signs of wear, her only flaws are not having the original Brooks saddle, at some point the rear factory derailleur had been replaced, and perhaps the freewheel, but the components are comparable.  Everything else is FULL Campy and the chrome lugs are to DIE for!  The only work needed are new cables, re wrapping the handlebars, and minor surface rust on a few nuts and bolts.  We are just honored to have such a bicycling milestone gracing the cramp confines of our little shop! 
ANYWHO! 
We have got ALOT to do, so I think I have babbled on enough!  See ya REAL soon folks!! Oh by the by, got TWO of the new goodies out yesterday, check out the gorgeous, light weight Klein Mountain bike!  SUPERB!!
OK, OK....I'm going...

2013 SCHWINN DISCOVER HYBRID
$190.00

26" KLEIN MTB
ONLY $400.00!!!

5 comments:

  1. Ok, folks, listen up: I've owned two Paramounts and ridden a third (touring, tandem and track). What Steven has on hand is a lovely P15 Paramount, their light/club touring model with the uncommon Campy triple chainring. The lugs are silver soldered (sp.?) Nervex Professionals- just beautiful. Very artistic. The brakes are original Mafac cantis- real banshees that will stop a fully loaded tandem in Colorado. The frame tubes- ALL OF THEM- are Reynolds 531, with the main tubes double-butted. If none of this makes sense to you, this is not the bike for you. If it does make sense, try to not drool on your keyboard. And get down there to pay your respects to a Truly Fine Bicycle.

    Me, I'm very lucky- not my frame size. WHEW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the frame size and where are the pics?

    ReplyDelete
  3. John- It looks to be a 23" frame, and lacks only the required Brooks Pro saddle (black) to be as near complete as one might hope for, considering its age. Wheels are laced four course, one over. I think I'm in love.

    Steven: Here are the scariest words you will ever read in your own blog:

    The Paramount IS. YOUR. SIZE.


    If you do not see fit to retain this bicycle for yourself, please, as a favor to both of us, don't open the shop this Sunday. Pack a light lunch on the rear rack, fill the water bottles and take that bike for an ALL DAY ride. In much as you appreciate fine bicycles, this is about the finest there is. You do owe it to yourself to sample a rolling slice of Heaven. Leave at sunrise, return at sunset.

    Ride, man, RIDE!

    Do it for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 's funny you should mention that! As with every morning, I do my initial set up and light clean, then sat down for morning prayer and reflection, ten had my cup of coffee. As I swiveled in my chair the Paramount was in eyes view hanging in my work rack. It was at this point I realized how perfect it's size was for me. And just how fine a partner it would make for my '77 Continetal and '67 Typhoon! I think, in reverence to it's importance in the bicycle lexicon, once finished, will go out at a price reflective of it's historic value. Should it NOT sell within two weeks, it's going under my Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then I should really stop trying top sell it for you, huh?

    Make it yours, my firend- you most certainly have earned it!

    ReplyDelete