Search This Blog

Friday, December 20, 2013

Clock's Tickin'!

Another year, and the fat mans day is coming!  Have you got all your shopping done?  Angi is headed out this morning to get the last few stragglers picked up and I did a little this morning.  As mentioned it's a light year for us, as I have heard, for many others as well. 
Got one REAL sweet potential gift for a vintage Schwinn fan who has someone who REALLY loves them!  Now, perhaps it's because we recently got one in, but I wasn't as overwhelmed this time, but it is a BEAUTY none the less!  A 1975 Schwinn Paramount P-13!!!  The REAL cool thing about this one is it comes complete with the original tool pouch, owners manual AND receipt!!  Bought on Jan 27, 1975 at the Schwinn Store, "City Cycle" right here in Clearwater! 

That's called a Pedigree folks!!  And she's ALL original!! In excellent shape and just chock full of Campy!  And GOLLY BOB HOWDY!!  Already got some fans chompin' at the bit on this one!  Gonna give her a good clean and put her out and watch the drooling aficionados fight each other for it!  Nah, just kidding.  I wouldn't think of doing that before setting odds and takin' bets!
And the really fun thing is the gent who brought it in on consignment, is not only a really nice guy, but he is a professional Bill Clinton impersonator!
And if that ain't Hollywood enough for you?   Had a gent come in to drop off a repair and when I was taking his info discovered his name was Kirk.  I couldn't resist, and asked how many time in his life he had been called Captain kirk, to which he responded, he was a retired fire fighter....and had been Captain Kirk!
HOW POETIC!!!! So now, not only have we had Santa visit in the past, but former prez, Clinton AND Captain Kirk!!
So, yesterday I did...well, really in the final analysis, not much of anything.  Oh, I kept busy with a slew of repairs and trying to finish up a refurb on an old cruiser in time for Christmas, but didn't put anything out new!!  ARRGH!!  And boy could we use them.  Stock is dwindling as we sold a few more yesterday, and boy do I love playing secret Santa!  A very wonderful lady, one of our regulars came in yesterday to pick up a repair and had her kiddos in tow.  I got to meet her new baby (last time we saw her she was about ready to burst) and he's the cutest little guy with really big brown eyes!  The two older ones went gaga over a couple of the bikes we had and she clandestinely bought them, with the assurance I'd hold until Christmas eve.  We had to convince the young boy she had to talk to Santa in order to see if he could get it.  VERY cute! 
Today, I think may be more of the same.  Have already gotten in a batch of repairs and still have the finishing touches to put on the cruiser.  Maybe, if I'm lucky I'll get out something new!
Now, on to Favorite Christmas stories, part two!
Christmas 1975.  It had been a pleasant holiday break, thankfully with a fresh blanket of snow to accentuate the holiday.  After the blitzkrieg of early morning frivolity I asked if I could go over to my friends house to tell him what I got and see what he got.  Please note, at this time in our lives our family lived in a semi affluent neighborhood, although we were not rich by far.  Some of my friends however, in comparison, were.  Once entering my friends home he took me down to the rec room (that's what rich folk do with their basements) and found a slew of new toys!  Amongst all the goodies he and his brother got, was a bumper pool table, a pinball machine and an Atari Pong!!  WOW!  I spent hours playing with him, then, reluctantly went home.  Now this is where I prove just what an ungrateful little bugger I was.  Once home, I approached my mother and asked why "I couldn't get good presents like Joey?"
That's the first time I can ever remember making my mother cry.  And it broke my heart.  Sure I had made her angry, crazy and frustrated but I'd never made her break down like that.  She ran upstairs sobbing and I just stood there.  Shocked.  Eventually I gathered the courage together to go to her room, where she lay on her bed and I sat next to her, and while begging her forgiveness started to cry myself.  She held me and said she was sorry they couldn't have done more, but it was at that moment I realized what the Holiday's really meant.  They didn't have to give me anything, I hadn't earned it.  In retrospect, they probably spent more then they could have afforded in the first place to give me and my sister the best Christmas they could and I was ungrateful and uncaring.  From that moment on I learned to not only appreciate what I got on the holidays, but what I was blessed with every day of the year.
Alright folks, now I best get to work!

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, I have GOT to come see this latest Paramount. Let's see.... If you look at the receipt, "Harold Owens" was Dick Phillips' chief mechanic back then, and as you can see, the shop was on Belcher Road, just north of Gulf to Bay. (It's a big fitness center now.) Harold was living in Alabama last I heard, and Dick is in Newport, Tennessee-We just got a Christmas card from him. He sold about one Paramount a year, and each one was a major event at the store.

    By the way, for the record, do NOT confuse Dick Phillips' "City Cycle and Supply" with the bike shop of that same name currently in town. They are not, as near as anyone can tell, really all that related.

    And I sure hope that Paramount's not my size...

    ... Or maybe I'm hoping it is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, heh! I don't think ANYONE would confuse the two shops....ever. And I am dreadfully sorry Uncle Chip....THIS Paramount is DEFINATELY your size!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steven-

    There is no doubt in my mind that I bought the right bicycle in your shop today, even if it wasn't that Very Perfect Paramount in my size. My plan is to stop by Walgreen's here this afternoon and get a big red bow for said bike. It will be parked in the garage so when I bring JoAnn home tonight after she get soff work, that's the first thing she sees: The bike she's always wanted.

    Thank you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, almost forgot: Yeah, the Paramount (the OTHER Schwinn you just got in) is also very nice. And worth at least ten times what the ladies' bike went for. Seriously. Not a penny less, and perhaps a lot more). It is more like what people expect Paramounts of that era to be: A hand made life support sytem for a lot of lovely Campy components. The perfect club century machine. Poetry in motion.

    ReplyDelete