Search This Blog

Friday, October 11, 2013

"Well Slap Me Around And Call Me Susan!"

It's a line from a movie (Blankman).  Don't get riled.  No folks, it is in fact an exclamation of incredible shock, with just a smidgen of polyanish hopefulness!  Kaleb got his report card the other day, and the initial shock was he, in point of fact, ACTUALLY offered it up without us having to ASK FOR IT!  And with very good reason!  My heart skipped a sharp beat when I opened it up and lo and behold...MOSTLY A's and B's!! HUZZAH!  I say mostly 'cause there was one D, But at least NO failing grades!  Doing the Happy Pants Dance!  Hopefully, there will be no complacency or fall from grace for the young man.  Fingers crossed, here's hoping!
Elijah has returned from his work week away.  According to him, his employers were sufficiently impressed enough to invite him back for work next year.  This is a good thing, however, as is often the case with most young men entering the working world, he returned with a "cock of the walk, King $#!t" attitude (Think Fred Flintstone with Angi playing the part of Wilma. But not in the, Banjo playing, inbred mountain folk kind of way) and they had "words".  Words, which in fact spanned the length and breadth of the cellular towers, quickly reaching my ears.  This, in turn, resulted in Daddy having to take the young man to the proverbial "wood shed" via an ear piece.  Had to make the young man realize his position on the food chain had not, in fact, changed.  And yes, in expectation of having to have just such an encounter of words, I had my script mentally drafted!  Kids today (and perhaps in EVERY generation) forget, their parents were once thankless, disrespectful little crappers who thought they knew everything, once too.  It's not a hard stretch to fire up some synapses and access recent memory engrams, arriving at a regrettable summation of adolescent missteps we all have made!   It's called "wisdom".  And yes, I too, reluctantly admit, that I thought my father was full of $#!T too, when HE related HIS youthful transgressions as an example of what NOT to do!  What's the old, well worn adage? "You have NO idea what I'm going through!"  BOY HOWDY is that a truckload of malarkey!  We may have come from steam power to the microchip, but people, their problems, their tribulations and attitudes?  None of it is any different since back when the first teenage caveman stole his fathers fire and went out for a joyride!  It's just now we got "apps" for that!
ANYWHO!
These past few days have been eerily quite around here.  Can't figure out if folks are just shell shocked from the good weather we have been having, and too timid to tempt fate or the reverse is true and they are just out enjoying it?  Either way, too quiet.  Thankfully it seems that now, the initial shock may be wearing off for some, and they are coming to realize that going for a bike ride MAY be a good way to enjoy it, as we have seen several folks already today!  HUZZAH!  Keep it coming folks! 
So dig out the rides in the shed or garage or back yard, bring 'em down for a tune and get out there and RIDE!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE you guys! Thanks for all the help! I bought an older Mountain bike off of a guy out in Largo and thought I was getting a really good deal for fifty. I was wrong. Had problems from the very beginning. He said it had a warranty, but when I brought it back he tried to blow me off and say it was my fault, that I rode it to hard. And I only had it for a week! I had shopped around on Craigslist, and actually came into Recycle to look around, but ended up going cheap. BAD mistake! Was almost feeling guilty bringing it in to have you look at it, but there was no animosity as Steven gave me a good price for the repair, and seemed genuinely sorry I got screwed. Sad part is, while I was there I saw a bike almost identical to the one I had bought, but in much better shape, and for only $20 more! In the end, after everything that was wrong was fixed properly, I ended up paying $30.00 more! Thank you for all the help, and I'll be coming back here to get my next one, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, my congrats to both boys for jobs well done! Now I can't wait to see where in the world Elijah goes on hs new job. (Don't forget the passport!)

    As for us as kids and our parents, I never did doubt for a moment that my parents both knew more than me, and I also knew that my father had the firepower to back his position. No one argued with him twice, and the smart ones not once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sir! And there's the rub! That's what's missing from todays youth. In our day you knew boundaries. Even though I could be a hellion, I still KNEW there were lines you just didn't cross. I was never beaten as a child or intimidated, but there just was a palpable veil of respect you extended to your parents and your elders. That just doesn't seem to exist anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a time when I was able to distract my pops from doing some kinda work on the family Ford Ltd to ask "Hey dad, got a minute?...could ya tell me every thing ya know? And then there was free food at mcD's for getting A's, not sure if they still do that. Congrats on the positive customer feedback. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that's being a REAL dad! If he took the time to teach, and the time to reward he was doing his job, WELL!

    ReplyDelete