Search This Blog

Monday, October 28, 2013

Bissfull Interlude

Well, for us the season has OFFICIALLY begun!  The time is so duly noted, as the arrival of migrating Snow Birds is marked with an annual visit from our Canadian friend, David.  We are one of his first stops each year after they settle into their migratory life here in FLA!  Welcome back sir! 
Yesterday was a break in my norm, and a rather pleasant one of discovery as well.  Having come in with Elijah (as he is still in training to take over the Sunday duties around here) and after he was set up and I did my morning chores, I opted to take Logan on his journey to Kmart to spend his birthday money in a quest to obtain Bakugan's (don't ask).  Also, I relished the thought of getting away from things for a bit, just he and I and our bicycles.   Unfortunately, the quest was for naught, as the coveted "Bakugan" eluded our capture!  Downtrodden, we slinked away.  Well...OK....he slinked.  Me?  I was just happy to be out with him, sharing the moment, luxuriating in the wonderful weather and exploration.  To that end (after we hit a couple more stores on the way back to see if they were hiding there) I suggested a back way to the shop, cutting down Virginia off Main, which curves west heading into Patricia.  It was on that Westward stretch (one I have traveled many times before) that I found myself paying just a little more attention.  In a parcel of land, nestled amongst stately homes and a few retirement villages, was a swath of land reminiscent of a Florida that was.  Reaching to the very edge of the road, and bordered by marsh to the west and a palatial home to the East.  I was first drawn by the lichen rich trees, but as we dismounted our bikes and walked through a small break in  the underbrush we were immediately engulfed in greenery!  As we passed through,  the canopy opened up and we were surrounded by a vibrant array of trees, and moss, underbrush and vine!  As we stood, encompassed by nature, I could not help but be overcome with the sad realization that this was how beautiful Florida once was!  Before man and machine cut a destructive path through this pristine greenery to make way for track housing and strip malls, this unbridled growth must have once covered everything.  It was an amazing escape from the known, and only a mere 5 minuets from the shop!  I cherish the moment I was allowed to share with Logan, and am doubly proud as when he entered the clearing with me, he had noticed a discarded soda bottle, and in righteous indignation lamented it's presence and the uncaring cretin who had discarded there!
ANYWHO!  Back to the here and now!  Have managed to acquire a few new goodies and will be getting to them post haste!  As I played hooky yesterday, really didn't get much done!  Please forgive! 
So with that! Gonna git at it!
See y'all soon!
Here's some pic's I took while basking in this little oasis!






4 comments:

  1. Steven-

    Congratulations, you found a rabbit hole! This area, so seemingly over-developed, still has a few narrow nautral passages (I call them rabbit holes after Alice in Wonderland) that can only be found by those traveling on foot or on bike. People in cars never see them, let alone take them.

    Me, I go searching for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wOW! That's spooky. That's exactly what I thought of when I went in there! If you look at picture four that's kind of what it reminded me of! Yes, it helped me realize I just don't get far enough away from my routine frequently enough to enjoy the splendor that's still out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all about that "road less traveled" crap. You have to get out and go places people don't go. Find the odd paths and openings and go see what's there. And yes, I know I have more time to do that these days, but still: MAKE TIME. It beats the snot out of whatever is on TV.

    A fine quote from Baudelaire on the subject:

    "Leaving for the sake of leaving, and without knowing why, we always say, 'We must go'."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so maybe I need to post this here. (This is as close as I get to "Social Netwroking".) I tried to check out the south end of the rabbit hole Steven found the other day on Virginia Avenue in Dunedin, but I could not. The south end of it is Scotsdale City Park (City of Dunedin), but: NO BIKES ALLOWED. No kidding. No bikes. A city park that does NOT allow bicycles? That's just not right. So: If you live in Dunedin (I do not), you need to start rattling some cages there with maybe their Parks Dept., the City Council and the Mayor, and ask why that city, of all cities, does not allow bicycles in that park. That was just weird. And as a cyclist, insulting.

    Ok, now help me down off this soap box. I'm not used to the altitude.

    ReplyDelete