Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Respect Can Extend To The Most Unlikely Of People!

Well, I said if I had something worthwhile to talk about I'd be back!
I'm back.
One thing I have grown to appreciate as I have aged is the realization that truly "with age, comes wisdom".  One inescapable truth is that one must suspend ones own beliefs, open ones ears and consider the opinions of others to truly be able to come to an educated conclusion on any subject.  Well, while I was flipping through my news briefs this morning I stumbled upon one from a source I thought I would NEVER find myself in agreement with.  Now in the past there have been a few people I thought i would never find common ground with, but even a cynical person as myself was emotionally moved when George W. stood at ground zero and speechified, but this is one gent I would have never thought I would find any use for other then kindling.
Bill O'Reilly!!
But as with so many things, I was pleasantly proven wrong in my all encompassing disregard!
"The compelling argument is on the side of homosexuals," O'Reilly said on "The O'Reilly Factor" Tuesday. "That's where the compelling argument is. 'We're Americans. We just want to be treated like everybody else.'"
HOLY CARP!
He went on to say "The argument on the other side hasn't been able to do anything but thump the Bible,"
Brilliant and insightful! Granted, he goes on to lambaste Clinton for passing DOMA then oppose it.  And of course chide Obama for changing his stance on gay marriage during the election (for the record, I criticized that very maneuver in this blog) but the mere fact that he bucked the Republican Talking Points is impressive. O'Reilly supports civil unions, but made it clear that gay marriage is not an issue that animates him and is one that should be decided by individual states.
"The gay marriage thing, I don't feel that strongly about it one way or another," The moderately cynical side of me would say that this is a safe place for any moderator to be.  Don't take a solid position on such a hotly debated issue, but it's comforting to know that such a stalwart would at least acquiesce to the truth of the matter.  To date I have not heard one rational, realistic or comprehensive argument to defend the position against gays having the right to marry.  Such unions would in no way crumble the foundation of our civilization nor pervert the youth of America, or lower property values!  Or whatever catastrophic doom the bible thumpers predict.
ANYWAY.
Perhaps I have in some small ways misjudged Mr. O'reilly

No comments:

Post a Comment