Search This Blog

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Aquatic Dynamics

Just one more bit of proof of the superiority of bicycles to cars. 
But first, I set the stage.
Anyone in the area knows that yesterday we had some less then ideal weather.  Around six pm a local transformer blew and we were left without lights.  Now being the intrepid capitalists that we are we would not give in.  Although I had expected the lights to return quickly they did not.  So I quickly discovered in the rapidly decreasing light that if ever I should loose my eyesight I could effectively build a bike blind.  As the rain increased I sent Angi and the kids home in a cab as I need my bike in the morning I sally forthed bipedal.  Not to mention I had promised the kiddo's I would rent "Wreck it Ralph" for movie night.  Luckily the rain let up some for the trip only to open up viciously once I got home.  A little bit after my shower it was discovered we were out of milk and as Izzy cannot survive an evening without her prerequisite 6 bottles or so, and the rain had ebbed again Kaleb volunteered to go to the store.  Unfortunately 10 minutes after he left the skies opened up AGAIN, and this time the torrential downpour was accompanied by a symphony of thunder and lightning.  After a few minutes of this I became concerned (yes.  he can be a pain in the ass at times, but he's still my son). So donning outside clothes again, off I went in search of.  This is when I discovered the perfection that IS a bicycle.  Where we live there are some low lying areas that quickly flood when hit by such rain, and at the intersection of the road leading into our subdivision and Sunset Point Road it will quickly become a rapidly moving river some 12 inches or more deep.  As I paused at the rivers edge watching the cars trying ponderously to navigate the treacherous tide I saw a wrecker pulling one of those small "pregnant roller-skate" out of the telephone poll, and as if that was not ominous enough another of those little ecno-cars slowing to avoid hitting a stalled car started drifting back, awash in the growing flow of water.  Well, as it was the only way to cross to get to the store i said the heck with it (not to mention I was now soaked to the bone) and I pushed off!  And never once lost traction with the road!  No risk of stalling, no damaging an electrical system or suffering countless thousands dollars of damage! HA HA! 
In the end I found Kaleb safely under the overhang of the old Sweetbay entrance waiting out the storm and after a few minuets it diminished enough that we could make a quick, relatively dry run back to the house.
Yes. Every day in every way my belief that cars are a non-necessity for us is reaffirmed.
ANYWAY!
Needless to say with the unpredictable weather yesterday we were a little slow, but that's OK!  Still had a few folks bring in repairs (thank you for your trust!) picked up a few more goodies and put out several more!  REALLY making more then  dent in the overstock now!!!
So check 'em out and we'll see ya soon!
COOL LOOKING BOYS 20" BMX
ONLY $45.00!!!

CUTE 20" CRUISER
ONLY $30.00!!

COMFY LADIES CRUISER
ONLY $65.00

SHARP LOOKING BOYS 18"
ONLY $35.00!!

LADIES 10 SPEED
ONLY $65.00!!

No comments:

Post a Comment