Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

musical taste may vary

OK, I am in a rare sentimental mood so anyone prone to nausea crated by sentimentality may want to stop reading.
As you may imagine a household comprised of as many individuals as mine will differ in tastes and opinions as their is grains of sand on Clearwater beach.  So it is of some miracle that not more fights occur regarding them.  By and large things remain relatively even keel.  My lovely wife, though shares in the "younger" generations musical taste where as I...do not.  Perhaps it is the inevitability of age or wisdom that sends grinding chills up my spine each time I accidentally catch an earful of whatever noise that passes for music nowadays coming out of the older boys headphones, or God forbid, stereo.
We don't have the customary stereo.  Angela found these tower speakers that you plug your mp3 or cell into and listen to your tunes.  So with the access of Pandora Radio on her phone they can hear just about ANY kind of music at the touch of a button.  And as my wife, regardless of how may she plays at the "shrill" wife (we have a running gag regarding "The Voice"  imagine a garden rake on a chalk board,  she CAN hit those levels) she looks out for me.  To the tune of "Stand By Your Man" it is the kind of traditional "Daddy's Home"  when I get home.  Hugs and kisses for Daddy, how was your day, then we all gather at the table for dinner, and afterwards the kids have a variety of interests that we share in.  Last night it was coloring, playing ball with Izzy, and a tickle fight with Owen.  A bantering of one liners and poking insults between Elijah and my self, minor lecture for Kaleb, and an attempt to convince Logan that life was not ALL about video games (failed at that one).  Now all the while Mom, knowing Dad had the background music tuned into  Irish Folk music.  At one point she regaled me with an Irish jig with Izzy, very sweet.   I may be of French and Polish descent, but my heart is in Ireland!  It gave the air of the house an Irish Tavern feel.  'Twas a very good night!
Well my reminiscence must end as I am starting to get busy, and have a bevy of rides to fix up for the weekend!  See ya then!
And may the wind be at your back!

3 comments:

  1. What is it about generational divides? I was JUST the other day having this conversation with my oldest:

    Why don't you like my music?

    Why don't you like mine? And who says I don't like your music?

    Mom, you roll your eyes when I put my station on in the car; don't think I don't see you.

    I DO like some of those songs, but there are some that are just so dumb that I can't find my way to like them. Look, it's like, this - EVERY generation of parents disdains what their children like - what they eat, what they listen to, what they read, and especially what they wear. Grampa's parents did it, Grampa did it, I do it - though not all the time; sometimes, I think you're really cute in your clothes - and, believe it or not, you're going to call me someday to ask how to keep from strangling your own kids when they've got what passes for "music" coming out of YOUR car's speakers. Trust me on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And may the road rise to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All so very true (I can re-member Mrs Malones responce to iron Maiden like it was yesterday, "Devils Music!"...OK, grant you we were playing "Number of the Beast")I wonder what the rememdy is?

    ReplyDelete