Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2011

Fandom Comes In All Sizes!

This will demonstrate just how out of touch I am. I had NO idea that yesterday was the opening night for "Harry Potter; The Dragged Out Ending part 2"  To be precise, TODAY is the films opening but as "Today" started at midnight last night, most theatres KNOWING a money maker preview the blockbusters at midnight showings.  I found this out as my sister (obsessive "Fan-person" mentality runs in my family) texted me from the LINE at her local theatre in Portsmouth (Newington) NH.  As she had been standing in it since slightly after 8pm (her friends were holding her place APPARENTLY alot earlier)  Now, down here I have gone to a couple midnight shows of "much awaited blockbusters" and walked right up to the ticket counter, got my ticket, popcorn and seat in under 10 minutes.  And talk about  sedate crowds, the jokes get the laughs, but in alot of the more fan driven movies (IE: Star Trek, and Comic book movies) no one there seems to get the "in" jokes, or cameos and what have you.  the last time I had a really interactive movie experience was when I was working at a comic shop in Boston and the local distributor had gotten hold of a handful of tickets for a pre-screening of Tim Burton's "Batman".  Good movie to see with enthusiastic Fan boys!
So, anyways.  It took me a few seconds to remember what is was like for my sister at that moment.  I'll see if i can set the scene.  This is a huge mall, with a theatre of 16 screens.  ALL of those screens were showing the movie.  And ALL of them were sold out WAY earlier.  The lines were there JUST for seating rights.  Many of the movie goers were fully regaled in costume (my sister had her official "Harry Potter" wand) the police were present for crowd control, it was an "Event!"
I just hope in the end, the movie was worth it, as the last one put I and my entire family to sleep.
Anywho.  Got lot's going on today and had best get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment