Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What Do You Believe?

I've spent the last couple days caught in an all too familiar spiral of mourning.  There is so much that I could say, so many opinions and or fears I could relate but I'm sure most Americans, to varying degrees and directions are thinking similar thoughts.  But I realized however that I couldn't give it power.  I remember far to clearly how 9/11 impacted not only me but my household and the world at large.  I stood by frightened looking to my countries leaders to just "do something" although I had hoped they would have taken full advantage of the good will pouring in from so many other countries to perhaps highlight the differences between our culture and others and quite possibly open real dialogue and make substantive changes in world policy.  But no, we got "you're either with us or against us" and 10 (and counting) years of an ill-informed immoral war.  So what now?  Do we live another ten years in fear to gather in public places?  Rekindled the well worn debate of freedoms versus security? Honestly, when I saw the photos of the aftermath and the death of an 8 year old who's only crime was spending time with his family enjoying a 117 year old Boston tradition, I shut it out.  I got busy, built some bikes and tried to forget. Perhaps geographical distance from my old haunting grounds has weakened it's effect or perhaps I have become "comfortably numb".  Sad, really.  I've heard many news interviews with people and families that live in other countries where terrorism is much more prevalent and the extraordinary and yet pedestrian methods these folks employ to survive a constant state of hyper diligence.  Hearing children and the precautions they must take just to go to school each morning as if they were describing the mundane processes that our children perform in order to get to their first class! Is that where I have gone?  Is that where WE have gone?  Bottom line is the impact that 9/11 had simply isn't there for me.  And that is the biggest point of consternation for me.  Have I really become that complacent?
Sigh.
I have a job to do, and I will have to push these questions back to the lesser used recesses of my brain until such a time as I can give them there just dues.
For now, I present to you the latest additions to our showroom.

TREK 820
ONLY $95.00!!

GORGEOUS GT PALOMAR
ONLY $110.00!!

SOLD

MONGOOSE XR-200
ONLY $105.00!!

LIKE NEW AVALON 7 SPEED!!
$75.00!!

No comments:

Post a Comment