Search This Blog

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Basking In The Glow

Admitting ones peccadillo's is a step in personal growth.  Admittedly I am a bit of the glory hound.  Occasionally my "Leo" side craves the spotlight.  You have only to ask my wife who will quite eagerly attest to the fact that I "like the sound of my own voice"  So be it.  In high school I tried out for the lead in one of the Drama Clubs productions and the director immediately recognized my unbridled talent and in the course of my tenure I was in five productions!  Yes sir!  I was absolutely brilliant!....as the lighting coordinators assistant and 2nd assistant to the set constructor.
Oh well, at lest my perch in the backstage rafters gave me an advantageous view of the dressing room!! 
Waka, waka!
  Perhaps like many others I seek my fifteen minuets of fame although truth to tell (this is where I boast) I have appeared on TV twice.  Once in Houston, Texas back in the late 90's as they were interviewing me about the impact of the baseball strike.  Yea, I know why were they interviewing me about a sports strike?  Anyone who knows me knows I know less about sports then any grown man in America.  But, I was working at a comic shop that sold a large array of Sports cards, they thought the connection would be cute.
enh.
AND, I appeared on a Good Morning America type show in Boston in the late 80's when Batman first premiered (that's the Tim Burton one with Micheal Keaton not the good one with Christian Bale) They filmed the whole episode from my comic shop on West street. 
Also, I have had lunch with Todd McFarlane and his wife (creator of Spawn), a round table with Stan Lee (yes... THAT Stan Lee) and drinks with James Doohan (Scotty of Star Trek fame) not to mention several news articles during my tenure in the BIZ! (of which my Mother has the original copies I have to remember to get some day.  Although she can keep the framed "police log" she harbors as a reminder of my more impetuous youth when I was nicked after the fact for stealing licence plates off of four police cars.  Ask me some other time.  That was one moment in history I wish I had NOT been in the limelight!)
But I have to admit, as mentioned yesterday the gift that Dave dropped off yesterday of the timeline of our little enterprise here really gave my ego a lift.  Not to mention (and here's where I get sappy) It touched me on a much more personal level than any of my other moments had (my wedding  and the birth of my children not withstanding).  The fact that so many people were invested in not only our survival but our prosperity is not only gratifying but reasserting in my belief of the general decency of humanity.  And that they would go to the trouble to produce such a wonderful show of support is very touching.  Angela, I and the kids look forward to your return next year.
God Speed.
NOW.
As is my personal signature (and much to my wife's chagrin) I can not end on an emotional note but on one of humor.
Funny thing happened in the bike shop yesterday!
Any of you following us on Craigslist will have noticed we have been making a concentrated attempt to let folks know we BUY bikes as well as sell them, with at least one add posted every day!  Needless to say we get many calls each day from folks looking to sell there rides.  The only drawbacks are that some are looking to get about 95% of what they originally paid for it and have some difficulty understanding depreciation, and wholesale pricing. While others want to know up front EXACTLY what I will pay for a bike that they don't know what size it is, what type it is (and in some cases what color it is!  No, sadly I'm not kidding) I got one such call yesterday, and apparently this gentleman had the GREATEST bike ever!!  It was in pristine, like new, right off the showroom floor, PERFECT condition!!  READY TO GO!!  He was however slightly fuzzy on the details of make and model so I suggested that since he was only a couple of miles away perhaps he could bring it by and I could inspect it and make an offer.  Well turns out this was a problem as his roommate had his car and he couldn't get it down to me.  In return I casually mentioned that he could ride the bike down, it wasn't that far and I'd check it out.  His response was, and I quote...
"well, yea I could do that,,,but...The bikes not rideable"
??????????????
By definition, for a bike to be "perfect" it would be preferable to be RIDEABLE!
Yes.
Welcome to my day!
ANYWAY!
Hats off to my lovely wife!  Unbeknownst to me she has been putting her new Ipad to good use in attempting to solve our "credit card" dilemma.  We often time get requests from customer to pay with a card but in our two attempts to get the equipment we were stymied by the hidden costs and liabilities inherent in the endeavor.  She, however has found a new contraption that turn your Iphone into a card reader and is in the process of setting it up.  In the end, of course she will have to patiently school me in its function.  I hope she can summon the patience.
Thanks for listening and hope to see y'all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment