Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

And This Comes As A Shock To You?

I read in a recent article from the AP that Television Network Executives are concerned over the growing number of "Zero TV" homes, as so identified.  These are folks fed up with commercial broadcasting (who knew?) tired of paying $100.00 plus cable bills as well as wanting to watch their favorite shows at their connivance. My surprise is that these well (ridiculously) paid exec didn't see this coming down the pike.  Angi and I have been a "Zero TV" home since the mid 90's.  Perhaps because I'm just to cheap to pay the bill, and I can't stand the majority of commercials that are just plain idiotic.  For the majority of that time we just watch VHS then to DVD then Blue Ray.  Until we discovered such resources as HULU, Netflix and the like.  Seems allot more folks are discovering them as well as when we first signed up they consisted of mainly failed short run shows, and B movies but today you are hard pressed not to find what you re looking for!  My most recent addiction is "The West Wing".  I never gave this one a chance (most probably due to the fact I didn't have cable).  Angi was doing her regular bit of updating our Queue (which now stands at a selection of 187 movies, documentaries (those are mine) and TV shows) when she pulled up West Wing.  Thankfully thinking of me she put it in.  And man am I HOOKED!  Now I easily watch 3 to 4 episodes a night (much to her chagrin) Can't believe I missed out on this Arron Sorkin masterpiece!
 So anyway.  As the non traditional TV homes has grown from 2 million to 5 million since 2007 you would think these gents would have seen the solution by now.  I'll help 'em out.  First keep in mind I'm no expert on any of this and I am not ll that familiar with the inner working of how a show get made or who pays for it, but I can only assume that advertisers play a big part in it.  BUT with the ability of sites like Netflix to know exactly who is watching ht and how many total, that seems to me a pretty more reliable gauge for determining what is and isn't popular.  Quite frankly in this day and age I can't see how anyone could rely on the outdated Nielsen Ratings system.  Instead of averages you have ACTUAL numbers!  To the best of my knowledge all major broadcasters and cable station have web sites.  These are mostly laden with fan trappings but in some cases you can watch the latest episode(s) if so desired.  Well....Put 'em all on!  Like Netflix groundbreaking foray into the original release of the incredible "House of Cards" with Kevin Spacey, available ONLY to Netflix subscribers.  This is probably one of this seasons best offerings.  Instead of major corporations spending millions of dollars on a 30 second spot during "prime time" (if there is such a thing anymore) you could offer up what I would like to call (copy write pending) "pop-up-pauses".  Similar to cable TV advertising that targets local small businesses but instead of buying a block of advertising that you have no control over where and when they place your adds (like 3 am during some obscure outdated show no one watches) you could buy a region (or regions) of a certain zip code.  Your talking much less of a cost that local shops could place an add where and when they wanted, and on what show.  The technology for this kind of precision exists.  For example a little place like us could have adds seen during a major sporting event, or an episode of "Castle" or "Supernatural"  Places normally only affordable to Coke or McDonald's, but the add would only be seen in the 34698 or 33755 zip code. While they could sell that same spot at the same time to someone else in another zip code.  Etc. Etc. Not to mention with the advent of interactive TV's which will more then likely be readily available and affordable in the next five years, your ad's could easily be linked to a web site (or in our case this Blog Site) and your customers could link DIRECTLY to you, right from their TV (while pausing their show of choice!) I've learned from personal experience that advertising that targets those looking for you works best.  I know it sounds like a no brainer, but most solictiers would have you believe casting a net works well.  Something like a repetitive print or radio add "gets your name out there"!  I beg to differ.  The cost of a coupon book add, when In tried it was around $400.00.  During the run I used I had one.....yes one person come in with the 20% off coupon.  And the bought  tube.  So that $400.00 investment netted me -396.00.  Not the best return I admit.  BUT I list on Craiglist that cots me nothing but 5 minuet of my time, I get three or so calls, several Blog site hits, and the bike sells in under 48 hours.  So whats the best course of action?
I suggest that at least one (if not all) of the major broadcasters, during there next "new-show" run, offer up a "WEB-only" offering.  Test the waters as it were.  Get a good story, some headliner talent and put it on their website only, and see what happens.
It is the new frontier!
ALRIGHT!
Enough of that!  Thanks to the HUGE number of folks for visiting yesterday!  Wish I had more ready to show off, but what little we had left from this weekend sold pretty early.  Did manage to put out one new one, but it wasn't the Sweet Raleigh I've been trying to finish because I was BLISSFULLY swamped with repairs!!  OH MAN!  I do so thank all the fine folks for their trust and patience, as I had no idea this little place could hold that many people at once!!  WOW!!!  Managed to get most of them done, but are waiting on parts on a couple that I hope will be in today.
I will have the Raleigh done today come hell or high water so be looking for it this evening!
With that, Id best be moving along!
See ya soon!

EXTRA FINE KULANA CRUSIER!!
ONLY $95.00!!

No comments:

Post a Comment