Search This Blog

Saturday, June 2, 2012

It's About Time!!!

Woof.
As with so many of the good things in life they hardly ever work out the way you plan, but the results are still spectacular!!!
As our usual night progressed last Thursday we finished watching our nightly dose of Net Flix then headed off to bed around quarter till midnight.  Nestling down in bed on the verge of full fledged dreamland Angela gave me a gentle nudge and matter of fact informed me "Steven, my water just broke"
Well being the seasoned pros we are there was none of the traditional hulla ba-lou you see so many times in the comedic missteps of expecting parents, rather it was a calm accumulation of all the necessary items for the birth. As we had originally planned for a home birth I quickly encased the mattress in plastic, lay out all the needed paraphernalia all the while time the contractions on Angi's handy dandy little stop watch app on her phone.  As the contractions came closer and closer we put the call into the midwife that it was time.  Eventually showing up at 4 am (i don't envy her her hours) the monitoring and waiting game began.
I'll stop here to express just how lucky I am to have such a strong wife.  I eat a Mexican dinner and I think I have a problem passing it!  WOW!  20 hour of straight labor but unfortunately to no avail.  Just couldn't get the little girl to pass.  As 24 hours of labor is the cut off point before a doctor becomes involved, and as she was intermittently passing out from exhaustion she decided that it was unfortunately necessary to head for the hospital.  Once there, drugs installed the prognosis again changed.  There was no way she was going to be able to deliver in enough time as the babies heart beat was dipping, an emergency C-section was needed.
I am not ashamed to tell you, I was scared.  I tried to hide it, but even through her haze of exhaustion she saw it, and was comforting ME!  As I said, I am very lucky to have this woman!
So,encased in gown hat and mask I went in to sit with her while the "major procedure" was conducted.  Here again, she had to comfort me.  Even though the medication they put her under was making her upper body quiver uncontrollably.  Once Miranda was out there was what seemed like an excruciating eternity until we finally heard her cry.
In the end though they are both doing wonderful, thank god!  And she is by far our biggest baby yet (thanks to angi quitting smoking a year and a half ago!)  Weighing in at 9 pounds 2 ounces, and measuring 23 and half inches!  Angi says she is every bit the spitting image of me.  I just hope she outgrows it!
Thanks to all the great folks at the shop and all our families and friends for all the kind words and prayers!  
Now it's time for me to head back to the hospital!
Night!!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am so happy all are safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heartfelt congratulations to Angi, Steve and Clan Atherton! I know this was a tough one, but she sure is a cutie! Hope to see her in the shop real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to all! We are all back at the house,finally and chilling. She is truly one of the clan as the other children bound about make the loudest of ruckesses she just peacefully snoozes away! Obviously aware of how things work around here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clan Atherton needs its own reality show, no doubt about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the world, pretty baby! Congratulations, Mama and Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and if we were in Shakespearean times they have a hard time classifying as a comedy or tragedy

    ReplyDelete