Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

You Can't Have It Both Ways!

OK,
So last night, after a hard day toiling away on newbies and repairs (more on that later), after the nightly barrage of "hello Daddy's!", hugs and kisses, I took a much needed shower and shave (yes, shaved off the winter Jihad beard) we ate dinner and after kiddo baths I plopped down on the couch.  Contrary to our somewhat normal perusal of Netflix, as Angi was in depth on her IPAD, I opted to do the unusual and breeze through cable.  settling on the Omni present "Law and Order" marathon, I etched a divot in the sofa cushion and half attention on it and half on what Angi was doing, I fully embraced the "vedge"!  No sooner were my eyes beginning to glaze over did the ever present "commercials" come on.  Usually, this results in me arbitrarily looking to spots in the room other  then the screen, but for one (that sadly was repeatedly played at every sponsored induced break) both my attention and my ire was peaked.  As with so much of the useless tripe now being passed off as "entertainment" it was a reality show "Nashville Wives".  Yes, there have been many shows of late featuring  gaggles of middle aged, overfed, over indulged and overly annoying, whining  prima donnas who's comfortable and opulent lifestyles seem to only further reinforce their incessant need to bitch.  Sorry for my language, but it's the only word that truly describes the level of disdain and contempt I feel for these preening harpies!  In this particular add, amongst images of opulent homes, manicured lawns, lavish trappings, racy sports cards, overindulgent shopping sprees, and prone women lounging pool side being served fruity cocktails while they try very hard to tan all the surgically enhanced accoutrement's they posses, one woman comments that she is working on a divorce.  The scene shifts to her having words with her music industry husband, as they voice over her stating that "all he focus is on is music and that doesn't work for me"
OK.
Wait!
There is an old adage I truly believe in, and it is both true for males and females, "You can complain about money, or you can complain about time.  You can't complain about both!"
So, what?  You can cash his checks, you can spend his money, you can lavish yourself in a lifestyle that HE provides for, but then bitch (sorry, again, only word that applies) about the fact that he is consumed with providing that which YOU take for granted!?!?  UH, UNH honey!  It DOES NOT work that way!   No, if you were to say "look, none of this other stuff means anything unless I have you here to share it with"  THEN be wiling to downsize your lifestyle!  Perhaps sell that ENORMOUS rock adorning your finger, or give up one of the five super cars in your garage, and you'll have a leg to stand on. But, short of that, shut your collagen injected lips, grab a Mai Tai and go sit poolside!   My contempt for this kind of thing goes beyond the fact that people of affluence and privilege think for a second that they have anything to complain about!  They pluck the silver spoon from their mouth and in utter contempt bemoan the fact, with vitriol, that it is in fact, not gold!  No, its the fact that the greater population of the world, who have REAL problems, real strife and real hardship would actually watch these worthless individuals...and call it entertainment!
All right.
Stepping off my soapbox.
Yesterday was a hullabaloo of fun!  Sent the cool looking men's 26" cruise home with a returning gent, who even had me do a little further modifications with a nice set of ape hangers  and an upgrade to the seat.  Also, found a home for the sweet 5 speed tandem to a newly arrived Floridian!  Toward the tail end of the day we also sent the "Like NEW!" 26" MTB home with one of our regulars.  This being his third bike he has adopted from us.  Managed, also to put out two new goodies (cut me some slack, had lots of repair to do) one of them being a FULLY re-furbed classic men's cruiser, decked out with all NEW tires!  We also picked up and put out one heck of a garage find!  An absolutely flawless, almost new ladies Schwinn Trailway Hybrid!  Gorgeous pearl white!  Amongst some of the other goodies we picked up are a couple more Daily Bangers, and a real (soon to be) sweet medium frame Trek 4300 MTB.  Just have to pick up a new sealed bottom bracket for it, then she will be good to go!  Well, needs a full refurb as well but that goes without saying!
On to the magic of new world personal media, Facebook!
No, I'm not a fan.  I don't need to be shown what you are eating for dinner, or how many bowel movements your child has had, or see pictures of your cat sleeping and so help me if I see ONE more picture of a camel on Wednesdays,  I'm going all medieval!!!  But it has its uses.  This morning, as I was going about my chores, the phone rang.  Nothing unusual, but the voice at the other end inquired if I was who I was, by name.  I responded affirmatively, and the voice (oddly familiar) introduced himself as Mike Connolly!  Now, obviously, you may not know this person, but I sure do.  WAY back in the day, when I was a pre-teen,  just becoming a young man my older sister had a friend from high school, Mike.  Mike is five years my senior, and back then he walked WELL on the wild side.  He of course was casually into what all the kids were into, and he had a penchant for speed.  No, not amphetamines, I'm talking cars.  Fast.  He wouldn't go through a parking lot at less then 65.  In my youthful exuberance, I idolized and looked up to him.  He quickly became a staple in our household and as at this point in my life my parents had divorced and my Father, at the time enduring his own issues was much less a presence in my life.  Mike (unbeknownst to him) began to take on the role.  Not really as a father, but as a fun, reckless well meaning older brother, who took more then his fair share of delight in treating me as any older brother would.  Mischievous, at times malicious but with my best interests at heart.  Perhaps, he was unaware of the impact he was having on me.  Even though his occasional dalliances with both alcohol and pot were known to me, he made it clear somehow, that I needn't try.  It's hard to explain, but the feeling I got was if I was to indulge, it would be my own choice, but the wrong one.  And not wanting to pale in his eyes, I abstained.  And that abstention stuck with me.  Of course, there was the other end of the coin.  His influence led to, shall we say other venues, that in the interest of not offending, I won't go into details.  Suffice to say he set me up with my first "girlfriend" and chided me about it afterwards.  I spent many days and nights getting into trouble with him, six of the eighteen car accidents I had been in was with him (the dump truck incident being the fastest and scariest one!  Who knew a Chrysler Coronet could be opened up like a sardine can!)  All throughout my influential years, he's was there.  Then, as with all things, people move on, drift and fade from memory.  Life goes on.  Then this morning I am flushed with a swell of memories, of vivid clarity, and with the wisdom that one only accumulates with age, became truly aware of just how much his presence shaped me.  And now, some 27 years later I come to find out that he is alive and well, owns his own business, married with four children and has been living  all these years less then sixty miles away from us! 
It will be an interesting reunion lunch!
But I think I'll skip driving anywhere with him!
All right, I best be on my way! 
See ya soon!


MEN'S 26 CLASSIC CRUISER!
ONLY $95.00


"LIKE NEW" LADIES SCHWINN TRAILWAY!
ONLY $170.00!!



No comments:

Post a Comment