Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

And He Rose Victoriously!

Angi and I experienced our first foray into the auction circuit last night!  Thank heavens for at least acquiring some knowledge as to their inner workings by watching cable!  Angi did a very good job as an auction goers wife.  She looked very attractive while maintaining a supportive role, while at the same time pointing out the things she wanted me to bid on for her!  She got three big trays of vintage costume jewelry, a antique wash basin (which I'm sure at this point she is still trying to find a place to display it while keeping it a safe distance from little Miss Grabby Hands!)  She also stumbled upon a framed copy of her favorite print by Gustav Klimt, "The Kiss", which is now prominently displayed in our living room.  Finally, toward the tail end of the evening they got to what I was there for, the bicycles!  Honestly, I paid too much for them.  But I'll tell you, you get really caught up in it!  I was chomping at the bit when the bidding started.  The first was a "Choice" Lot of six bikes.  This means, first you bid, then the winning bid gets to "choose" out of the bikes which one(s) he/she wants.  Much to the chagrin of the competing bidder, I choose four out of the six.  And yes folks, I couldn't help but approach the row of bikes announcing my intentions, with a swelled chest filled with arrogant victorious pride!  Very out of characture for me!  (stop laughing honey).  The only reason I didn't take all six, was the other two, while nice looking vintage three speeds, were not of notable origin, and neither had working rear hubs, so not worth the cash.   In the end, however it does help us fill the store a bit, and they are in really good condition, but we are not going to make a killing on them, I assure you!  It really surprised me how much some of the stuff there bid out for.  I mean, a lot of it looked like the stuff you find in the reject boxes at yard sales!   In the end, though, I think I caught the bug!  I went to an auction once, YEARS ago when I was twelve  with an employer of mine.  It was for farming equipment and supplies, and in the middle of a bidding duel for some huge tractor I itched my nose and they recorded it as the winning bid.  Needless to say I was mortified and made to sit in the truck for the remainder of the auction.  So it was a LONG time before I had the nerve to step into another one.  I learned, though,  Angi and I stood to the side until we wanted to bid on something.  She was good, though!  When they were doing a table bid, she saw what she wanted and strode right through the crowd to get in the front.  And boy, some of those folks in attendance take their positions in line VERY seriously!  One snooty lady took offence that Angi, even with a polite "excuse me", dared get ahead of her.  To which Angi gave her best "screw you" smile. 
Never mess with an Irish girl! 
In the end, got some choice rides to put the shine on, then will be posting them!  Keep an eye peeled here later today for pics! 
We will take this chance to thank ALL the folks for coming in with their repairs yesterday!  We have QUITE a back log!  Special shout out to all the folks referring friend to come see us!  A big one to our buddy Robin for bringing down a friend with a truckload of repairs (literally). 
all right, now I best get at it, got some heavy chores ta do taday!
See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment