Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

Now How Did I Screw THAT Up?!

Ah yes. 
The days of mixed blessings.
We seem to have WAY to many of those lately.
First, yesterday brought us many a wonderful folk with kind words to say, several referrals and loads of repairs.  We thank you very deeply for being the sunshine of our day!  Quite frankly, without them, I probably would have headed for my pillows, pulled up the covers, closed my eye's and wished for a do over! 
And just why was yesterday a hassle you may ask? (and you'll probably be asking yourself "WHY Did I ask!?) I'll tell ya!
A few weeks ago I made the mistake of clicking on what turned out to be a bogus "business loan" site, online. The site looked legitimate enough (what do I know!) and amongst my name and address asked for my phone number to have a representative call me.  Oh yea.  Many of you are probably groaning at this point and calling me all kinds of stupid.  And you'd be right to do so! No sooner did I log off, did the phone calls start. Unabated, they continued for HOURS!   Ever since then I have been plagued with a slew of both emails (on average 300 per day) and telemarketer phone calls (on average 70 a day).  So many phone calls, in fact,  that I have to recharge my phone twice a day.  And they don't listen when you tell them "take me off your list" So this is a cautionary tale folks! 
back in the 90's I worked for a carpet cleaning company that used telemarketers so I know a few things about the way they work.  In order to get potential clients they buy "call lists" from companies that compile potential "buyers".  Folks proven to use services from such agencies.  Apparently in the new age, that is an even quicker and easier process.  So, yesterday morning I get another of the annoying calls.  At this point, when a non local number shows up, I give the courtesy greeting of "Good morning, Recycle, How can I help you" then pause.  A real customer will make themselves known, but if it is someone speaking in a RICH Indian accent and slaughters my name by pronouncing it "STAVAN" I know to respond "not interested, take me off your list" and in the interest of saving my battery, hang up.  One such number came up yesterday,  (772) 585-9865.  Now I give you that number so if ever you should get a call from these pirates you will know to avoid them!  Once again hearing the strong Indian accent, I knew it was a bogus call, said my line and hung up.  Seconds later they called again. And again and again.  Finally on the fifth time, even before I could get out my line, the caller interjected and asked I not hang up, as this was not a telemarketer sales call.  Feeling somewhat embarrassed I was afraid that perhaps I responded prejudicously.  No.  I didn't.  It wasn't a sales call, it was worse.  A SCAM call! And the worst kind!  The individual informed me that there were three separate criminal charges being filed against me and that I needed to contact his supervisor at the same number he had called me from but type in ext 121, and they would divulge the info to me.  Dubious, at best, I quickly ascertained that this was a bogus call.  With the intention of giving the "supervisor" a piece of my mind, I tried the number back, only to get a message from the operator that the number could not be completed as dialed?  So, I dropped it.  But, after a short period of time,  slightly nagging doubts crept into the back of my head.  Back in '97 when we were still living in Texas, I had erroneous charges filed against me, for failing to return (of all things) a chicken trailer to a rental company in some Podunk town I never heard of.  And that's not a euphemism, it really was a "chicken" trailer.  For hauling chickens.  As it turned out, I had been the victim of identity theft, and as the individual using "me" was leaving a trail of misdemeanors across the west, I spent almost a year clearing my name.  Hence the doubt I now felt.  If you use one of those "people finders" online and type in my name there are TWO people out their using the same social security number! So I was worried that perhaps it was happening again.  So with just a little bit of time, I investigated the number these people called me from and discovered quite quickly that there are many mentions of the scam online.  Someone goes on a "loan" site, they suffer the slew of emails and phone calls and within a short period of time receive a call from some company representing the DA or a lawyer and state if you mail out X amount of dollars they will get the charges dropped. 
Now, perhaps I'm mistaken But isn't it illegal to impersonate a representative of government, or a lawyer?  And maybe I watch to much Sci-Fi but in  world that can track a digital fingerprint to your doorstep, isn't there any kind of agency that  tracks cyber crime?  Shouldn't these criminal be arrested?  Or is our government so dependant on cheap labor and services from India that they don't want to rock the boat?  All I can say is I am just waiting for these a-holes to call me again so I can REALLY tell them what I think of them!
ANYWAY!
if that wasn't bad enough, shortly after that debacle, I calmed myself down and went back to work but within seconds the next number in that days glitch list popped up it's ugly head in the form of a sudden loss of power.  At first I thought the rain and wind outside knocked out another of the infamously weak transformers in the area but in the sudden quiet I could hear someone rummaging in the back of the shop, outside.  I poked myself out to see a "Duke Energy" hatchet man removing my meter.  Inquiring as to what was going on, he informed me I would have to call the office as we were scheduled for a shut off?  I couldn't understand as I had paid the bill at the end of last week. 
Embracing the modern age, we do most of our bill paying online, or with money transfers.  I sat down last weekend and paid both the electric bills (two addresses) and the water.  After a fevered phone call with self righteous indignation I was quickly vindicated.  YES!  I was proven to be... an idiot. Apparently, somehow I paid both amounts to the same address.  The home address, and neglected the shop all together.  Thankfully, it was a quick fix, as they just transfer the money from one account to the next, but of course I had to sit in the dark for a few hours before they turned us back on.  And with my ever decreasing sight proficiency, I sure hope I didn't miss anything on any of the repairs I did by minimal natural light!
So.
We did manage, amidst all that, to finish up one new ride!  And boy was SHE a chore!  But in the end we got a real sweet 3 speed tandem for our labors!  Check her out below!  Now, I'd best get at it as I got a slew of new goodies in yesterday and need to get 'em processed! 
See ya soon! 
GOLLY MISS DAISY!
3 SPEED TANDEM!
ONLY $160.00!!!











3 comments:

  1. Your Bicycle Song Trivia for the day: Everyone knows the first verse of "Daisy, Daisy", but what you never hear is the second verse -where Daisy says NO.

    C'est la vie, mon veloist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that guy. He calls him self "Mike" Hes the same sad individual who makes 65% of all scam calls in the United States. If you have ever received a scam call, then you have spoken to him. So I have been working with Interpol to put him out of business. I already have this phone number on file. The more numbers I get, the easier it is to find service records, and "Mike's" actual location.
    Thank you.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I DO so hope you nail him GOOD to the wall! He's one of those reasons why public hangings should be brought back! Sad part is when a scam works, there's always copy cat around the corner!

      Delete