Search This Blog

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Oh NAY NAY! Don't Make THAT Fatal Mistake!

Shout out to our BMX Bud!  He's bought several rides from us, including the Crupy not to mention fixin'us with a couple sweet rides in exchange.  Along with several nice little freebies!  He and his son came into to have a few adjustments down to the Crupy and a 24" Redline he's got.  Drool Drool on that one my homies! Had the pleasure of testing the crank on that one (hee hee!) VERY lightweight!  My fat butt was able to do a couple foot bunny hop off the curbs edge!  Oh, all in the interest in testing it's durability of course!  I'm a stickler for perfection!  As we were chewing the fat he made the fatal mistake of asking MY opinion on the upcoming presidential election.
Again, I have to apologize for the colorful, and aptly descriptive "Daddy" language that was used as adjectives to describe my rather jaded opinion of the Republican Challenger.   From now on referred to as 47/13%.  (you'll have to google that for reference).
At this point PLEASE understand that as far as Republicans go (nowadays) I have nothing personally against the general population who register as such.  I do understand that some of the rally cries of your run of the mill Republican are rooted in common sense.  Less taxes, more personal freedoms, and smaller government. But it's the dogged adherence to the complete abolition of a woman's right to choose, complete "finger in your ear, nah-nah-nah I'm not listening " stubbornness when it comes to conversations relating to gun control, and a desire to demolish any social programs that my cackles rise.
And while we are on the subject, what about Nation wide health care?
Hmmmm?  Here's where I have a problem with that.
Considering the astronomical cost of medical services and the establishments unwillingness to lower many rates,coupled with mismanagement and waste this system is going to end up costing us a tremendous amount of resources.  Along with that is what I would consider "self inflicted illnesses", married with incredibly bad self monitoring and control.  Case in point.  24% of Americans are overweight.  SERIOUSLY overweight.  I myself am overweight by at least 50 pounds.  And I have absolutely NO ONE else to blame but myself.  i don't get enough exercise, I eat way to late, and way to much, and I snack every night.  I drink sweet tea all day (my weakness).  So should I expect, if it gets any more out of hand and i should develop associated illnesses for someone else to pay for my health care?  Or should I put down the snacks, take a long walk and join Jenny Craig? On MY dime?
Is there going to be any preventative health measures, such as putting anyone tipping the scales on a monitored diet?  Perhaps make those who choose not to relinquish their health care and pay the tax?
What about smokers?  Yes I was one, for 35 years but never once did I blame it on the tobacco companies!   So if they get cancer, or emphysema should we foot the bill?
Allot of what ails us is our own doing, and I don't think the millions of folks who show restraint,and common sense should have to pay for the folly and poor choices of others
As i said.  Opinionated.
ANYWAY!
Kaleb sold the Genesis first thing before I even arrived this morning (up late watching "Sons of Anarchy" Intense show that made 3.30am sneak up REAL fast!) The Huffy comfort bike didn't last either, as well as the men's cruiser I put out yesterday, but it's cool though, got two others in trade for it and already rebuilt one of them (although, stupid me forgot to get a pic of that one!).
Finished up a "DAILY BANGER SPECIAL"!  (trying so hard to get more of these gems out) men's 26"MTB, and got in and refurbed another Townie Electra"  Oh they are so smoooooooooooooooooth!
So in the end like to thank all the folks for venturing out on a very pleasant first day of fall.  Yes, yes!  Check your calenders!  Although it may not feel like it yet my fellow Floridians, Autumn is upon us and you now what that means!?
 RIDING WEATHER!!
Night y'all!
LADIES TOWNIE ELECTRA!!
ONLY $160.00!!!

"DAILY BANGER SPECIAL!!!"
ONLY $50.00!!!

3 comments:

  1. Steve,
    Interesting rant today but I have a different perspective on the health care issue. I'd love to have my own business as you do, but I can't or I'd run the risk of death. Type 1 diabetes and severe arthritis (neither of which has any connection to personal choice), means I cannot get insurance. Not that it is too expensive, but that all insurance companies refuse to sell to me at any price. My emoyer carries an open policy, which meaner their insurance carrier is required to carry me by law, but with prescriptions running $1,500 per month not including any other medical services, I would never be able to make enough and support myself. At least, major insurance overhaul and complete reconstruction of how we fund medical services, or some public option that could provide a pool that others like me could pay into.
    Just a thought.
    Love,
    Court

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have many valid points, all of which I'm sure the folks in Washington have been banging back and forth. Unfortunately under the new rules if you DON"T have insurance you have to pay annual penalties on your taxes! Simply put it can't be enough to just say everyone has insurance and raid the coffers to pay for it. Medical costs HAVE to come down! Short story. I was told once by an emergency room administrator once that the reason hospital costs were SO high was because of so many uninsured patients that they were required to admit service to. This statement was later backed up when i had to bring one of the kids for a rather expensive visit to the ER during RSV season. We were covered by medicade but due to a billing snafu they sent me a copy of the bill demanding payment. The bill totaled $4324.00 for a two night stay. After regaining consiousness I made several calls and after a concerted effort the matter was resolved and Medicade paid the entire bill...for $412.00?!?!
    So if traditional theory holds true, and the hospitals and doctors get paid for every treatment, there should be no reason for such high prices!
    Or we can just say "Screw it, embrace the lessons of "Logan's Run" and Renew! Renew! Renew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually that's only partially. Yes Medicaid and for the most part other insurers, do pay less because of their role in the payment system for care. If the only payment to hospitals come in the form of insurance, they can essentially "tell" the medical providers what they will pay for procedures and the providers must accept it. My knee replacement surgery itself actually "cost" around $10,000, not including the two day hospitL stay after. But a friend, who used to be a surgeon, said that the actual amount of compensation he would get was $1,200 to $1,800, which wouldn't pay for "parts", overhead for his practice and wages for his staff for their time for that procedure. (he left his practice to consult for companies because he could be reliably paid there).
    Cutting back on compensation to providers won't work, but neither does legislating to require all hospitals to take everyone. Wouldn't you like having an inexpensive option to ensure you and the whole family?
    Love
    Court

    ReplyDelete