Search This Blog

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Another Reason To Dislike Wal-Mart

The beauty of living and working in the same community (commute not withstanding) is the fact that you become familiar with your surroundings and its inhabitants.  Yes, true a very rudimentary observation but it goes without saying it has it's perks.  like the folks at the auto parts store where we buy our cleaners and paint (yes I do recognize the irony of shopping at an auto parts store, thank you very much) allowing me from time to time to "put it on my account".  To the many family members working at the local China One who recognize my phone number each day when I place my order for lunch and answer with "what you want for lunch, bicycle man" So it is with that sense of familiarity that we do all our shopping at the local Sweetbay market.  Now just for comparison sake the plaza our shop in is literally right next door to the local Wal-Mart "neighborhood" market.  Truth be told the parking lots are somewhat connected, and even though I would probably save a few bucks on the food budget there is one very simple difference between the two shopping experiences.  Suffice to say when I or any member of our family goes into Sweetbay we are greeted with smiles "hows it going", they are genuinely interested in how the kids are doing, is Kaleb staying out of trouble and how big is the baby getting.  Now in the oft chance we are forced to pick something up at Wal-mart the air is filled with a different vibe.  The closest comparison would be agitation and disgust.  As if your presence is annoying them and they just want you to "get your sh&+ and get out"  It was with a twinge of regret that I found myself having to visit there today as Sweetbay didn't have what I needed in stock.  At Sweetbay I ride my bike right into the store and have my own little spot inside to park, so it was without hesitation that I swooped into the vestibule at Wal-Mart and parked it next to the bench inside next to another persons ride.  I picked out my goodies, went through the "do it yourself" checkout, argued with a stubborn machine reluctant to give me my change then left to get my ride..only to find it missing.  About prepared to spin into a profanity fueled range I was cut short when I noticed through the sliding glass door that mine and the other persons bike had been "thrown" outside near the carts in a heap.  Obviously not a thwarted attempt at theft, but according to the smirk of one of their employees and a curt "not suppose to park 'em inside" they had been jettisoned to the curb.  Considering the well documented continuous rash of bike thefts from their store you would think they would have a little more consideration, care or tact.  But obviously the megalith of box stores has no worries when it comes to how they treat their patrons as I'm sure they figure "enh.  Where else are they going to shop"
Hunh.
Sweetbay next door comes to mind.
So today was another busy knock 'em out day!  Got a couple more cheapie BMX'ers out, as well as a sweet looking men's 26 cruiser.  Also got in some more consignments!!  A SWEEEEEET looking Bauer road bike!   Yes it's true this brand has had mixed reviews but as little is known about these (some say it's Canadian, some say it's from New Zealand) but considering the quality of components (for the time...I'd say early to mid 80's) and the nice lug work, I couldn't right it off as a cheapie.  Also a nice 21 speed Panasonic commuter!  So check 'em out below.
On the News front....not today.  Sorry but the most interesting a new news I heard today was the conviction of some Amish Terrorists.
Yes you heard me right.
16 members of a schismatic Amish group were sentenced in response to a series of "hate crimes" against other members of the Amish community, includeing cutting off of men's beards and women's hair.
Seriously.
Just where in the hell is all this going?  I mean "the AMISH!?!" if there has ever been a poster child for peaceful, non-aggressive coexistence...it's the Amish!!!
What Next?  A drive by in Sesame Street?
Maybe a turf war in Candy Land?
I'm hanging up my running shoes and leaving the race.
Alright, y'all have a peaceful night and lock your doors just in case there comes a roving band of disgruntled Buddhist Monks.
  


LIKE NEW MEN'S 26" CRUISER
ONLY $75.00!!!!!

GORGEOUS PANASONIC
ONLY $160.00!!!
BAUER ROAD BIKE
ONLY $210.00!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment