Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Once Again Onto the Soapbox Dear Friends!

Before I get to that and to the Schwinn Chronicles I want to send a big shout out to Matt for a most excellent trade!  He got a set of MTB tires and I got...another TV!!!  YAY!!!  Thanks so much buddy!  Now I'm gonna need to get another VCR as this one is coaxial only.  But that's cool, been meaning to get another one anyway.
To tell the truth though the last few days of listening to NPR has been informative and entertaining, which leads me to my soapbox.
*ahem* Pardon me while I step up hear.
Thank you.
If your not privy to the content of NPR, some will call it the liberal bias radio (unlike say ANY OTHER radio program on) I'd rather label it as...informative.  I'd like to comment on a couple of things I've heard so please bear with me.  First republican Senate candidate Todd Akins comment regarding "legitimate rape".
Wow.
In my life I have said some boneheaded verbal flubs but this one took the cake!  If you haven't heard it just google it,you'll get about a million hits and then come back and we'll discuss it.
I'll wait.
See, there is a long standing belief with some in the pro-life camp that there is no reason to include provisions in any abortion legislation allowing for the exclusion of pregnancies resulting from rape because (and I paraphrase) that a "woman can not get pregnant from rape, because in such a stressful situation  as rape the female body "secretes secretions" (that IS an ACTUAL quote!) that prevent her from becoming pregnant."
HUNH!?!?
Now to the mans credit, if you listen to the tape you can clearly hear the brief moment of anguish and "what the hell did I just say, and I better pack my things and go home" in his voice.  But like any good politician he just kept on speaking and hoped that no one heard.
Well...they heard!
And also,in true political style EVERYONE on the republican side of the room BAILED on him.
But it gives one pause for thought.  There is more truth in ones verbal slips then there is in ANY carefully crafted speech.  So how much was a Faux par,and how much was proof of his generally low opinion of women.
Now onto the controversial subject of gay marriage.
My opinion on this is best summed up in the words I once heard a comedian say "sure I support gay marriage, why shouldn't they be just as miserable as the rest of us!"  Funny, but subtly true.  They have just as much right to enjoy the security and inclusion as everyone else.  So I was offended when i heard a blurb from some republican pundit (sorry didn't catch his name) That "marriage is defined as a union between man and woman.  It has always been that way.  It is traditional and natural.
Woah!  Hold on!  Lets break it down...
FIRST of all! There is nothing "natural" about marriage.  Marriage is man made and quite frankly goes against nature.  Men and women's "natural" tendency is to procreate.
Often.
And with as many partners as possible until they die so that the species continues.
Marriage originally was primarily for acquisition of wealth, consolidation of power, to ease political unrest etc.
Traditional?
Traditionally...
The Earth is flat.
The Earth is the center of the Universe.
The Church WAS the State.
Women and children were property with no rights.
A man was expected to spank his wife at least once a week to "keep her in her place"
Line dancing was an acceptable social interaction.
So who's to say what is a tradition worth honoring, or needed to be regulated to history. Perhaps we need to revisit our priorities.  Love is love, and if two people know the most intimate secrets of one another and still want to share their lives together, they should all be allowed the right to share in the benefits and tax breaks as well.
Thirdly!  In all the hull-a-ballo about the upcoming insurgence of Republicans about to converge on our state a little news blurb that quickly came across the news yesterday has me a tad bit worried.  Perhaps I have seen to many action films, but there was an odd theft that gives me pause.  Seems that two school buses were stolen from the bus depot around 2 am on Monday and last seen headed North on rt 75 toward Tampa.
The RNC is being held in Tampa.
One can only imagine how much damage two buses loaded with fertilizer could do.
I don't care for Republican policies but I wouldn't wish that much carnage on anyone.
ANYWAY.
Thanks to the young couple who met me at the door first thing this morning and gave homes to two of our rides right off.  Have fun on your rides!
After that I was a good boy and did up my repairs first thing, and picked up a REAL sweet trek 3700 that I went right to work re-furbing.  Check out the sweetie!
ONLY $190.00!!!!
 Also banged out this little "like new now" baby (thanks Chip!)

ONLY $70.00!!!!
After that I returned to the project at hand.  The Schwinn Chronicles Part Five!
Finishing up some of the detail I realized I forgot the seat!  This, as far as I can tell is the original, so I wanted to  do my best to save it.  There's a minor tear in the back side, but once cleaned it'll be doable...

Yea, I know not the original pan color but I thought it looked cool.
Saving the hardest for last i sat down to trim the tank.  And yes, I chickened out and cheated.  I trimmed it out using some thin gold pinstripe in attempt to avoid the mess I would have made.
And...here....we...go...

It ain't exact, almost looks a little cartoony, but kind of cool!
And Now the assembly!
First rule: "You can NEVER use too much grease on bearings"!  I prefer to use maritime grease...


And here's how she looks about 90% done.  Still need to put on the rack,and tanks (and a final clean of course) But I was just to psyched to wait!
 cleaned the head badge down to the original brass and left it that way.  Always LOVED that look!
And Here she is!!!!  And check out the vintage gold glitter grips.  Have had these suckers lying around for, like...EVER! Just looking for the right ride!


 Oh yes folks that's an original (RARE) Schwinn Diamond Skip tooth drive!!!
SO tomorrow we wrap her up and she'll go out for sale!  If you like what you see come on in and give her a good home.  Don't forget, if you got an old ride lying around in dire need of some TLC, bring her in and we'll give her the treatment.
Till tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment