Search This Blog

Monday, August 20, 2012

Goodbye Phyllis!

I first caught a glimpse of this lady when she did a cameo on Batman (Ok, I did see it in re-runs after school,I'm not quite that old enough to have seen it in it's original run) and then through out the years seen her in many different venues.  I always liked her style and secretly wished I had a crazy aunt just like her (although my aunt Mary came close).  And I always thought she breathed life in the stale game shows she appeared on.
Too many of the greats are gone!
Well today was also a sad day in the shop when alas our latest television died.  Yea I know, not quite the same magnitude of a loss, but as far as working conditions go, it sucks!  I have to always have something going as background noise and I LOATHE commercial radio.  No matter which station or genre you tune in to it's always the same thing, same 40 songs put on a loop with annoying, banal banter by pre-pubescent forty-somethings! Seriously, how many boob jokes CAN you fit in a four hour time slot before it becomes redundant?
ANYWAY!
This led me to the bottom end of the dial where I tuned into NPR.  At least it comprises some intelligent and entertaining conversation.
Well today was a relative return to household normalcy as the kiddos have once again reported back to school.  And I'll tell you they certainly don't get their love of it from my side.  They were genuinely excited to return.  Even the High Schooler!  Strange.  Very strange.  I always dreaded the end of summer and greedily held on to each day trying to squeeze more and more into each and every day of freedom I had left.
Well,at least morning coffee with mamma is quiet.
So today was comprised primarily of re-pairs but managed to get out one sweet 12 speed Daily Banger Special, which of course I'll remember to take a pic of tomorrow. Then in the last two hours it was back on the Schwinn!
Schwinn Chronicles: Day Four.
Went on to cleaning and repacking the wheels.  Didn't do a full tear down on the rear (as those older hubs can be a bear to repack) just pulled far enough apart to clean and re grease the bearings.  Then of course some elbow time with the wire wheel...

Some serious scrubbing and a nice new set of cruisers later we got these sparklers!
Also re stenciled the tank lettering and put on the first coat of white (I choose to do the letters in antique whit as opposed to the gloss everywhere else) Also did the trim on the chain guard.
And once again I veered away from the original design slightly on the fenders.  I did one up with arrow white tip but when it was done I was not happy with the results.  It muted the green a little to much so I opted for a simple dual gold pinstripe to accent.  The green color is really growing on me, and really makes her stand out!
Hopefully tomorrow I can start the rebuild and get this gem all together.  Still have the lettering outline to do and still doubting my skills on that.
We'll see.
Alright, enough for this evening.  Ya'll sleep well!

No comments:

Post a Comment