Search This Blog

Friday, August 23, 2013

What. Are. They. THINKING!!!!

So, anyone waking this morning and checking into their news may have already caught this but for those who have not?  Well DC/ Warner Brothers have announced which actor will be portraying the next Batman to be premiered in the upcoming sequel to the stellar "Superman: Man Of Steel". 
DC has chosen to go the way of Marvel-esque continuity and bring all their heavy hitters into the same "Universe".  In an obvious bid for the eventual release of the long awaited "Justice League" movie all the obvious main players, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter (and some inkling to Cyborg, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle perhaps) will need to be established within the same world, with the cross over characters (think Nick Fury and shield weaving in and out of the latest Marvel film) linking the stories together. Obvious references were made to S.T.A.R labs (Dr. Hamilton being a key player and STAR having created Cyborg)  and the Daily Planet.  But Easter egg's were there too  hinting to key future roles such as Blaze Comics (Booster Gold) Carol Ferris (Green lanterns long term love affair AND eventually the super bad ass Green Lantern enemy "Star Sapphire") even LexCorp and Wayne Enterprises.
 DC's problem is they set the bar WAY to high with the last three Batman films with Christian Bale wearing the cape and cowl and that' a mighty big cod piece to fill!  (a little inside joke, google George Clooney response for taking over for Val Kilmner in the ridiculous "Adam West" inspired sequels of the past incarnations!)  So after such an illustrious run that set the bell curve for super hero flicks, who do they choose to carry on the torch.....?
Ben.....Affleck....!
I'm gonna let that sink in for a minute.
This hearkens back to emotions I was feeling in '88 when it was announced that Tim Burton was casting Micheal Keaton to play the Caped Crusader.  Sam Hamm who wrote the original screenplay was a regular visitor to the comic shop I managed in Boston.  He even let me have a first draft copy of the script (originally Robin was slated to be in it) and the overall tone was darker and grittier and I think BETTER then the final product.   He even  had very vocal reservation over that casting! 
I got the Facebook post yesterday and before I had a chance to read it over 1100 people had chimed in and gave their two cents.  By the time I was hit with shell shock it became apparent that my opinion would have been redundant as I flipped through the first hundred or so comments and not ONE was positive!  Quite frankly were I casting director on that film I think I would invest in a flack jacket and armored Humvie considering the degree of venom spewing forth from this decision!
Don't get me wrong, I like Ben Affleck as an actor, and from what I've read he's a very good Dad and husband as well.  I've enjoyed him in everything I've seen him in.  From his uncredited cameo in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" to his latest works (haven't seen Argo yet though)   All the work he did with Kevin Smith was great, and "Good Will Hunting" is one of my all time faves (hey....it took place in Boston) and yes, fighting the backlash I liked him in "DareDevil"!  (Really though, if you want to experience that movie watch the directors cut extended version!)  The problem is, most of his charterers are a bit of a dick.  Playing a rich playboy jaunting about town in the guise of Bruce Wayne?  Yea, possibly.  But can he pull of the altruistic nature inherent in Batman?  Sure, Batman is mono directional, and rather intense.  BUT there is always an underlying current of self sacrificing reason behind what he does.  Just think of Christian Bale in the final installment, hobbling about on a cane because his nocturnal exploits have left him so badly broken he can barely stand.  Yet when the chips are down and his city needs him?  He straps on some exo-armor and endures the crackling cartilage to get his ass handed to him by Bane!  Then when he could have just as easily thrown in the towel force his recovery from a broken back to overcome it ALL to go back and kick Banes but!  Bale pulled it off masterfully I just can't see Affleck meeting that standard!
Sure, once again this is a NEW universe and all that came before in "movieland" didn't happen (God PLEASE don't let them feel it necessary to ONCE AGAIN rehash his origins!  OR worse yet, feel they have to RECREATE them!  John and Martha Wayne got shot.  That's.....IT! NO alien conspiracy, NO magic, NO radioactive waste!  SHOT! .....That...Is....IT!)  DC, TRUST me when I say this..."the movie going audience and fans WILL have that trilogy on their minds when (and IF) they go and see this film and will judge it as such!  You are putting a blight on the expectations of ALL the fans who have been yearning for this team up!  In this atmosphere of instant information and an enormous community of online communication you have the enviable gift of instant input from the folks who will be seeing it, buying the tickets,  making YOUR paycheck!  LISTEN TO THEM!  I'm sure studios in the past would have KILLED to know what their patrons were thinking BEFORE they sunk the capital into the difference of a blockbuster and a bomb.  Think recently of Lone Ranger, John Carter of Mars, Cowboys and Aliens?  The world could have told you Johnny Depp or NO Johnny Depp, folks nowadays are just not that interested in a Western.  It would be advisable that you go the way of Supes and cast a relative unknown in the part.  Or hey....PERHAPS NOT shrug off the Nolan franchise and put Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the suit!  It was clear at the end of Dark Knight Rises he was set to take up the gauntlet!  Sure, it's not the brooding Bruce Wayne BUT it would tie the series together and allow the possible return of Bruce in some capacity!  I just have a hard time rationalizing Hollywood's incessant need to keep reinventing the wheel!  Looking for the next bigger, better mouse trap (to be euphemistic!) The constant need to "re-boot".  Sure, comics have and do recreate themselves every couple of decades BUT they really have to.  As a new generation comes in it's best to get them in on the ground floor to retain interest and loyalty, but why do it every few years in movies?  You can tell fresh stories without having to constantly shift back stories, origins, continuity? 
 ARRGH!
 OK, I'll stop!  Suffice to say DC,  get your "guano" together and RE-CAST before it's to late! 
NOW, on the positive side of production companies listening to fans...
Note:  I have to make it clear the following is based somewhat on rumor and speculation on my part.  And you can blame my lovely wife, as she is the one who convinced me to get an android phone, which I have whole heartily embraced for instant access to the latest fan news!  I have all the people and companies I am interested in linked to my Facebook and the dulcet tones of my pre programmed alert tone of "Fruity-Oaty Bar" (the jingle from "Serenity"...go figure) chimes constantly with fresh info!  So here goes!
Anyone reading this blog may remember I've been pushing HARD for the character of Dr. Strange (to be released presumably in '16) to be played by Benedict Cumberbatch.  WELL, apparently I was by far not a lone voice!  Seems a huge outcry has been going on online for just such an appointment (in part due to some of the other "potential" actors that were announced and met with  a resounding "thud!") and it appears that there may be some movement.  I present for your inspection the following.  Back in 2012 Cumberbatch was summoned to the offices of Marvel Entertainment and it was slipped that his visit was due to him being "up for" a role in an upcoming project.  Check out these pics of the visit and notice all the prints fudged out....



 
In this last photo look over the shoulder of the gent on the left in the gray sweater.  You'll notice a sketch, blurred but with a distinctive red and blue costume with a high collar! 
ANYWAY!
In a recent interview Kevin Fiege, the man in charge stated they had "ramped up" production on Dr. Strange.  Shortly thereafter it was announced yesterday that Benedict had backed out of the next Guillermo del Toro film "Crimson Peak" that he was slated to appear in due out in '15  and NO reason was given and his agents are being very tight lipped on the subject.  Benedict is currently working on season three of "Sherlock" due out later this year, and his stint in the Hobbit trilogy.  All setting him up to have a clear calendar right around the time it would be start time for filming of Dr. Strange.
WAS his exit from the del Toro project due to Fiege's "ramping up" of production!
Like I said, speculation.  BUT if I were a detective.... all evidence seems to point to that conclusion.
I await announcements with bated breath!
ANYWAY!
As far as work goes.....?
Enh.
As the weather has been posing a real hindrance to folks outdoor leisure activities it has been rather boring around here (hence why I had all the time to dig up all this conjecture) and nothing new has been coming in (sad face).  I found myself pacing yesterday trying to keep busy but eventually just gave in.  I have never been a fan of "busy work" and as I have the place as clean and as organized it has ever been I am NOT falling prey to the old McDonald's adage "if you got time to lean you got time to clean!"
So plan your day accordingly!  The weather has pretty much established it's current pattern and by about 4 pm we get hit with a monsoon.  SO get out there in the AM and get a ride in and come check us out before the skies break open!
EXCELSIOR!


3 comments:

  1. Steven-

    I was definitely in the HUH? camp when they cast Keaton as Batman, but I thought he did a very good job of it, and brought in an exceptional take on the man behind the mask.
    I find myself back in the HUH? camp again with Affleck, but hey, let's give the kid a chance. I'm sure you and I could spend a hilarious hour naming actors FAR less suited for the suit. Such as:

    Gilbert Godfried (and did I even spell that right?)

    Nathan Lane (No, wait, that would be wild.)

    Arnold Schwarzenegger (Becasue he can only play
    Arnold Schwarzenegger.)

    The guy that plays Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory.

    The guy that played Erkel. (No, wait, he turned out pretty cool.)

    I could go on, but it's your turn.



    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup could be worse. I got Affleck confused and was thinking he was Alec Baldwin, now that would guy could pull off the Bruce Wayne part but the action hero stuff... not so much. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh! Yea, I think we had enough of a pudgy Dark Knight with Adam West, Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete