Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

MARS...OR BUST!!!

HOW FREAKIN' COOL IS THIS?!?!

Growing up in Brentwood, NH my concept of a big city was Exeter.  Most beautiful little northern town you'd ever want to visit.  On lazy summer days once I was of age to be able to flee the shelter of my mothers home I would jump on my bike and venture forth down Rt 111-A into downtown.  All told, about a sixteen mile round tripper.  Giving a young man, on a quiet country road time for his mind to wander and succumb to the whims of imagination.  See, to any younger viewers this was before the age of hand held computers, ipods, hell...even before Walkmans!  So the only thing to occupy your time was your thoughts.  To a young man raised on comic books, cartoons and sci-fi it was inevitable that my thoughts would lead to the like. Well aside from the completely naïve thought of marrying a woman who would dote on me hand and foot the most prevailing quandary was "what would the future be like when I was grown?"  Needless to say being fed the diet of fantasy I was, I was convinced that by the time the year 2000 hit we'd have flying cars, robots in every home doing our bidding, the ready option of taking a fast burn ship to colonies on the Moon, Mars and beyond! In retrospect my visions were ones conjured by high ideals easily quashed by the realities of present days!  Not even so much as a freakin' jet pack!
BUT WAIT!!
There is hope!  Sadly, not for me as by the time it all would kick in I'd be  wee bit to old to travel, but not so for my children.  Today I read an article about a proposed private enterprise to colonize Mars!  Yep, you got it!  Seems that the Dutch company, Mars One is interviewing volunteers for what will be a one way trip to the Red Planet.  In 2016 they plan on sending up hardware that will set up shop for the 2023 arrival of the first batch of "Martians".  Apparently they'll go in groups of four where they will perform as of yet undefined task, but presumably work on expanding the settlement.  Selected candidates will undergo 10 years of training to prepare them for the task.  And who's footing the bill for all this?  Primarily...Reality TV!
Yep!  Absolutely BRILLIANT!!  Finally a reality show actually WORTH watching!  You can keep your Pathetic Pawn Brokers, and ugly Toddler Divas THIS is a show worth watching!  The ULTIMATE series of Survivor!  I would most gladly pay to have that channel installed.  To finally see first hand what secrets may be hidden there is very enticing. 
This will be very interesting to watch unfold!
ANYWAY! 
Forgot to put pics up yesterday so here are our latest!
Nanoo-Nanoo!

SCHWINN MESA!
ONLY $170.00!!

"DAILY BANGER SPECIAL!!!"
ONLY $75.00!!

LADIES 6-SPEED CRUISER!
ONLY $75.00!!!

 
Pre Fab Martian Neighborhood.

1 comment:

  1. WOW.

    To colonize Mars is spectacular enough, but to do it as a reality show is either the most brilliant marketing ploy in the history of the universe (if it goes well) or a potential tragedy beyond all belief (if it does not).

    And as for the flying cars, you need to get out to Fantasy of Flight on I-4. They have at least one- and a whole bunch of other way cool stuff with wings.

    ReplyDelete