Search This Blog

Monday, August 19, 2013

RING IN THE NEW YEAR!! OR "Parent's doing the Happy Pants Dance!!

The majority of the world celebrates the new year at midnight on January first.  Around our house it's a tad different!  The celebration of a new dawn comes on the first day of the return to school for the wee ones! Behind us lay the darker days "There' nothing to do!!!!" and "he/she won't stop touching me!!"  No more are the languishing battles between 17 year old and 10 year old regarding Lego property rights!  The opportunity to maintain a relatively clean house ABOUND!  And the painful shock of our daily food budget diminishes!! 
Ahhhhh.  To once again breath in the heady scent of freedom! 
Surprisingly all went off without a hitch this morning!  Our high schooler got up ON TIME (5.45 am) and off (thanks to Angi, as she is his alarm clock.  I am not qualified for THAT job!) Then, to even greater amazement I actually got up on time!  (7.00 am) A feat of monumental proportions I assure you!  Thanks to Angi ALL the kiddos have ALL new clothes, shoes, back packs, socks and undies!  Especially impressive is the artful way in which she now has separate totes for their socks and undies (I give that about a week).  We have to keep all the kids school clothes in separate totes in the living room near the diaper station.  To give them the responsibility for keeping track of them themselves....in their own rooms.....is to court disaster!  Within 24 hours each morning would herald in a new, strenuous  bout of  "WHERE'S MY SOCKS!?!?" and "that's MY shirt!"  Not something to look forward to as my throat would strain from the constant yelling!
My fingers are crossed for Kaleb, who also got out in time, as he is going to an intermediate school (which lies in a different direction from the way the other kids and I travel) to an 8.5 class in hopes of making up the credits for both 8th and 9th grade so next year he'll be a sophomore and back on track.  There is a glimmer of hope for him however.  I never thought I'd be the kind of parent to sanction this, but he has expressed a desire to go into the military.  Much to my surprise my first reaction WAS NOT to say HELL NO!  I actually think it would do him some good.  He has a good work ethic, and he is in good physical shape, he just lacks discipline.  And lets face it, college material he is not, and given the state of the job market today?  At least he can acquire some marketable skills.
I'm just pushing for the air force.  The thought of him being a grunt on the front line of some other far away conflict is a little unsettling.
SO, once again the shop falls quite.  As the summer ritual of kiddo visits has past I know find myself appearing to keep occupied, awaiting the inevitable busy season with bated breath!    LORD knows we need it as this summer has been BRUTAL!!!  HOORAY for Global Warming!!  Only the bravest of the brave venture forth on their bicycles in this heat, humidity and rain! 
So without further pa lather I now begin on a fresh truckload I just got in this morning!  All a little rough but they are a much appreciated donation!
See ya soon!

2 comments:

  1. My mother always called the first day of school "Mother's Day". Took me awhile to get that one, as I was pretty sure it was in May. But hey, congrats to one oand all for getting the school year off to a good start!
    And here's a tip of the jaunty cycling cap to Kaleb. There's hope for the boy yet! But DO get him to talk to a recruiter NOW, to make sure he gets (and keeps) his ducks lined up for the branch of service and training he wants- something that translates to civilian life after his service, if he's not going to make a career of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the kudos sir! As Kaleb is still 15 gonna hold off a wee bit, as we all know teenagers change their minds more often then their underwear (yuch!) As far as his future, I've made the suggestion that he make the military his career. Once he accepts the discipline I think he would excel.

    ReplyDelete