Search This Blog

Thursday, August 8, 2013

The TRUE Definition of Honesty!!

Wow!  Talk about strength of character! 
Just caught an article that further proves the decency inherent in some of our fellow humans. Seems a cleaning crew was working on a home of a recently departed recluse in Carson City, Nevada and stumbled upon a treasure that eventually auctioned off for 6.6 MILLION dollars! 
Here's the rub.  When someone dies, if family is not available it goes to the state to process the estate.  All legal wrangling aside, that comes down to discovering and processing all property, equity and liabilities.  Also, in the end where real estate is involved, and if a family member doesn't claim it, the house is cleaned an put up for sale.  Yes, I realize that is an over simplified description of the process, but it quickly gets to the meat of my story.  The most fascinating thing I found in the articles I read were not the descriptions of the treasure ( a multitude of rare gold coins painstakingly preserved and hidden in ammunition boxes in the garage) nor the prices they fetched at auction, not even the mid-auction mystery once it had been discovered that some of the coins were counterfeit!  No, it was the complete LACK of detail regarding the individuals who FOUND the coins! 
See, as part of the processing of the estate, everything must be inventoried and valued I assume by the probate court staff.  But that is NOT who was credited for the find!  It was the  cleaning crew!  Here's where I have some knowledge, as I worked on clean-outs and rehabs,  post mortem before.  You have two cleaning stages (although at times one crew does it all) First, folks come in and picked the bones for anything considered valuable, important papers, family heirlooms and such.  Then a crew comes in and all remaining items are removed from the property and disposed of.   Sometimes an estate sale is held so the property is cleaned for that, items are valued and tagged etc.   It's the "disposed of" that gets me!  Now, whereas NO article I read even hints to the name of the cleaning company, I can not confirm this, but the way it worked when I was doing it was once the cleaning crew goes in, the property has been signed off on.  All that is left is considered trash.  IE: public domain.  You know, when you clean out your garage and put the refuse to the curb, anyone can come along and claim it.  SO more often then not guys on crews I worked on (myself included) would be loading the back of the truck with claimed booty! 
So just what extreme level of decency, honesty and honor filled the hearts and souls of these men, working at just above minimum wage that they would be compelled to identify and relinquish boxes FILLED with gold, that for all intents and purposes were UNKNOWN to the high Mucky Mucks that hired them to do the job!?
The recently deceased was widely identified as a recluse.  He had no acquaintances let alone friends in the neighborhood keeping diligently to himself.  They had to do EXTENSIVE detective work just to locate his sole living relative.  The only records of the gold existence was a purchasing log stored WITH the gold! How much trepidation did they endure contemplating what to do when the  discovery was made?  How hard was it to NOT place the boxes in the cab of the truck under their sweatshirts and lunch pails?!
THIS, my friends is the TRUE story!  Oh sure, it's great in an adolescent fashion to dream of the continued existence of hidden treasure just waiting for you to unearth in some future time, but these guys in my mind are TRUE heroes!  To be standing there, awash in the golden hue of such a monumental find and to willingly relinquish it, when you know next week you will be forced to choose between another Raman Noodle dinner or paying your light bill!?  THAT takes courage!  That takes fortitude and decency!  SHAME on all the news outlets for not parading these gentleman around as shining examples of what it means to be good!  SHAME on the courts and heiress for not offering these men a HEFTY reward for the discovery! 
I'll be honest to the detriment of my character, and at risk of unveiling the deep, sequestered "pirate" dwelling within me.  I'm not so sure I could have prevented my own reality from keeping me from fading away from the scene, overburdened with the heft of new found wealth!  Would you have done different as well?
It's times like this that we are faced with the inevitability of our own shortcomings! 
ANYWAY!
Back to reality!
Managed to put out some new goodies, although not hidden treasure they could be considered "gem's" in their own right!
See ya soon!

LADIES 18 SPEED
"DAILY BANGER SPECIAL!!!"
ONLY $55.00!!

LIKE NEW GIRLS 20"
ONLY $55.00!!!

6 SPEED COMFORT CRUISER
ONLY $70.00!!!

3 comments:

  1. 'Tis a sad time we live in when honesty is news. But yeah, these days, it is. I found a bank bag full of money on a bike ride once- pedaled it straight to the cop shop. Never even looked in it. (I could feel the shape of a stack of cash in it.) As I pedaled back along that street at the end of my ride, I met the guy out looking for it. (It had been left on the roof of his car as he drove off.) I told him to check with the police and rode on. Double kharma points there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to quote Emo Phillips "I found a wallet the other day and found myself wondering what to do. I asked myself "what would I want someone to do if they found my wallet? I'd want them to teach me a lesson!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which is exactly what I did: I confused the heck out of the owner. Now he doesn't know who he can't not trust.

    ReplyDelete