Search This Blog

Friday, August 9, 2013

Dragged...Kicking and Screaming Into The 21st Century!

It finally happened.  A couple weeks ago the shop cell phone died, adding another toy to the kids already impressive collection of spent cell phones.  This time round my lovely wife and elder son did the shopping and presented me with an android touch screen. 
I recoiled as if from accidentally touching a hot stove top!  I have always detested the bloody things ever since my wife fell in love with, and purchased her first a few years back.  I could NEVER figure them out!  The touch was to sensitive, the letters in texting were NEVER what I intended to write, the flip thingy liked to toy with my temper every chance it got.  I was very much on the verge of chucking the thing through the window after just one day, but with some tweaks to the settings (and getting rid of that frickin' predictive spelling thing I began to reluctantly turn to the dark side!  One selling point was the ease with which I set my ring tone to the theme from Firefly and my notifications to the "Fruity-Oaty Bar" jingle!  (watch Serenity and you'll get the reference) but what REALLY sold it was discovering I could download the IMDb app!  For those not in the know, that's the site for all things MOVIES!  And most importantly the ability to set alerts for all upcoming films, and all updates that apply!  The reason for this is lately I have become keenly aware that I court personal disaster by NOT being informed as to the latest releases! 
Yes, anyone who knows me, knows I am a wee bit of a film geek.  And nothing chafes my thighs like being ill-informed!  This morning while checking my news saw a blurb about Iconic film roles that were almost filled by different actors.  Such as Nick Nolte was desired for the role of Han Solo!  ANYWAY!  While there, somehow got on a preview of the new flick "Percy Jackson"  one of those "unnecessary" sequels.  BUT, as it turns out the role of Hermes is played by none other then Nathan Fillion!!  Captain Mal Reynolds from Firefly himself!  This is information I NEED TO KNOW!!
SO with great respect and admiration to my lovely wife, I reluctantly admit I was wrong about technology! 
Now excuse me while a season this crow....
MOVING ON!!
Yesterdays torrential down pour kept folks at bay but we used the time wisely to....Ah whom I kidding!  Was lazy and only managed to get about a half ways through on a FULL re-furb and re-paint on a classic Fuji folding bike.  Though it is looking real sharp!  A marked improvement from it's dilapidated state when it came in!  Should be through it today!
Also, thanks to the many folks who have been gearing up for the new year (school year that is!) and bringing their rides in for repairs!  Appreciate the trust!
Well, I'm back at it and will see ya soon!

1 comment:

  1. And here I've never owned a cell phone, but I do have a phone in a cell (a phone booth). We also have a rotary dial phone, and it works just fine. I'd say technology is overated, but technology keeps me alive.

    I just don't have a cell phone.

    ReplyDelete