Search This Blog

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Reaching For A Secure Grip

Thankfully it would seem that Mother Nature is listening to prayers.  Has been three days since any daily rain storms and folks are finally emerging from their Warrens, blinking in the sunlight and testing the air.  Leading them inevitably to the conclusion that it is once again safe to enjoy the world at large!  THANKS so much to so many folks coming in yesterday for their overdue service's!  Was rocking in here pumping out the repairs and was happy to have each one done in record time and get these eager folks back out on the road where they belong as many voiced a desire to go for a ride that very day!   The only minor downside was the fact that I was unable to get any new rides done!  Finally sold the folding three wheeler to a very nice gent who has visited us several times looking for the right ride!  So glad we could finally find you the right one!
Will be finishing up the seven speed cruiser in my rack then bang out a couple kiddo bikes so I have plenty to keep me going today. 
Seems that great minds think alike.  As I was reading this mornings news came upon an article about the Elf.  A green combination of bicycle and car.  Lightweight solar, battery and person power commuter.  I like many other enthusiasts have been concocting such a vehicle in our heads for some time, but here's the gents delivering it!

 
The price tag of course on a new creation is high, but honestly I think there are going to be more and more garage mechanics tinkering with this in time to come.  If I had the time, I'd probably be one as well (first thing I'd add would be some kind of collapsible clear plastic doors in case of rain.)
ANYWHO! 
I'd best get a move on and get my day going!
See ya all soon!

4 comments:

  1. Steven- I suspect we read very different articles about the same weird vehicle (the ELF). It's an insanely overpriced hybrid electric vehicle with bicycle pedals, and as such is pretty much illegal everywhere, because it is neither a true bicycle nor a legitimate motor vehicle. It's a mess.

    Have a look at the Rhoades Car, a true quadracycle made in the US, and a truly pedal-driven alternative to golf carts and weird overpriced ELFs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. overpriced? Agreed. As far as "illegal" one of the articles I read involved a gent riding it home from the manufacturer a total of 1200 miles. He researched the states he'd be traveling through and was only going to face problems in one of them. I can only assume that as more forms of alternative vehicles come available states will begin to recognize their right to occupy the same roads, not to mention the states inevitable bid to charge for some form of registrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or you could, for the money, buy a decent used car AND a nice new bicycle, and have the best of both worlds. "Assisted" bicycles reek of presumptuous entitlement. I am not a fan.

    Can you tell?

    ReplyDelete
  4. NAH! Could never tell! Me, I don't mind an electric assist, especially if the recharge is solar. And those reliant upon the "assist" will quickly realize the limitations of the batteries and have to start pedaling. And if Murphys Law is a key factor they'll be ten miles out from home when the battery dies!

    ReplyDelete